I decided to use a basic half lap joint on this project. I’ve never really used it before, so I wasn’t sure what the best way to accomplish it. I don’t have a dado stack, yet, and frankly I don’t trust the accuracy of my junk Skil router and homemade router table. So, I decided to build a sort of tenon jig to help me cut the joint.
This took longer than I wanted to due to several errors on my part. But, all things considered, it didn’t turn out too bad. I decided to run a test of the cut for my TV stand, and it really bogged down my saw and burned pretty badly. I think this was a due to a combination of my underpowered saw trying to take too big of a bite and cutting with the grain of the wood. I’m pretty sure I need to clean my blade, too. Regardless, I decided I’d have to figure out a way to make the cut easier.
So, I set my blade to just shy of the depth I needed on the shoulder of the cut and ran the piece through several times with my miter gauge.
Next, I broke out most of the little fingers left by the miter gauge and set the piece up in my new tenon jig to try the cut again.
I think I need to try to get the depth of the shoulder cut a bit closer for the rest of the build, as the saw still labored a bit, but the cut turned out pretty well.
I think this method will work fairly well, especially after I clean my saw blade. I’m pretty sure the MDF I cut for the jig and the pine gummed it up pretty well. But, that will have to wait for another day.
As always, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.
-- The Dude abides...