LumberJocks

TheWoodWhisperer Woodworkers Fighting Cancer Rocking Horse

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by PurpLev updated 10-12-2011 02:57 AM 4 parts 13938 reads 24 comments total

Part 1: Making the cut

10-09-2011 02:46 PM by PurpLev | 5 comments »

This project is building a childs rocking chair. Marc at thewoodwhisperer.com is organizing this and this is a charity fund raising project towards woodworkers with cancer. For more info please visit http://thewoodwhisperer.com/wfc/ and join in on the project. it is a nice and fun project to work on, can involve working with the kids in various steps, and is god a good cause both in terms of the charity and in terms of the rocking horse for the kids! For a while there I really wanted to jo...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Getting in Shape and putting it together

10-10-2011 04:13 AM by PurpLev | 7 comments »

Following yesterdays work I continued shaping the remaining parts. Yesterday I used a rasp on some smaller parts, and today having to work on larger parts and more of them I decided to forgo the rasp work and power up the oscillating belt sander. Looking back now, I am not sure it was any faster, but it required less muscle work at the cost of more dust in the air – and lots of it!. For parts that had duplicates I only shaped 1, and then using the router table and a flush trim bit tr...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Childs play (Coloring)

10-10-2011 04:40 PM by PurpLev | 4 comments »

Probably not what I’d do on some projects, but on this one it was the perfect opportunity to let my daughter draw and paint the horse prior to sealing it. She was so excited helping out and painting it that it was all worth it. I basically let her complete freedom and a full set of brushes and water colors and away she went. Note to self – for painting a large surface better to use larger finishing type brushes and not art brushes as it took forever to just paint the main th...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Getting a Handle on things

10-12-2011 02:57 AM by PurpLev | 8 comments »

With the horse finished (literally as in 2 coats of shellac) the only thing missing was 2 handles for the ride. as it seems the horses ears were a good alternative and worked well, but proper round handles would probably be more comfortable for younger ones and well, I have the mounting holes for them already so better put them to good use. My original idea was to use mahogany for the handles as I have a left over of mahogany that was my workbench wagon vise handle that was transformed int...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase