with the growing number of hand planes, it was time to rearrange and add a few shelves which I did today. I just read through the last installment in this blog series, and it was about how I mounted the plane shelves last time around, when this is what I had:
quite different than how it looks today, but more about that later…
To start I placed the newly acquired planes (some more some less ‘newly’ just never got around to hanging them) on a piece of recycled board (from a bed I took a part a long time ago that was left on the street…) and marked the length of each shelf I’ll make:
Next I cut them to length, and then rabbeted the top of each shelf leaving a 1/8”x1/8” step at the end of it – the plane will butt against this step and won’t contact the back of the cabinet leaving a 1/8” gap behind them which will allow the blade to be set as-is without the need to retract it when the plane is not in use which allows me to leave all my planes set for their type of cuts I use them. the 1/8” height of the step also ensures that the blade does not come in contact with the step:
I then placed the planes on the parts and traced the shape:
Next I drilled the mounting holes which will later be plugged. in retrospect I should have drilled those before rabbeting the step as the step interfered with clamping the boards in the vise so I had to use a caul (as seen in picture) – of course is you only use a fence on your drill-press and not a vise, that would be even simpler:
With the rabbeted, drilled, and traced boards:
it was time to bandsaw the shapes and sand to the line:
After routing an ogee on the bottom (might as well give it some nice touch), I reorganized the shelves locations, and voila:
(still need to plug the screw holes, but that’ll have to wait for another time.
the cabinet itself is starting to be pretty packed, but every tool is very visible and accessible:
Thanks for reading,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.