With the blade cut and drilled to length, and the frame shaped and finished (BLO) it was time to add some tension to the frame to pull on the blade.
I was toying with some ideas, and ended up getting an IKEA steel wire hanger as the tension control. It’s quite simple, and uses 2 threaded ends one left hand one right hand, both pulling on the wire:
Putting tension on the blade using this method is not as easy I was hoping it would be and requires a pin to roate and thread those metal ends into their mating studs… I may end up just putting a standard hemp thread there at some point with a paddle, but test cuts were not bad, although the blade can rotate pretty easily – at least easier than I would like to. I’m not sure if this is due to not enough tension on the blade, or if that’s just how it is (never had a frame saw to compare to). I am guessing this is due to insufficient tension though… so again – may go for hemp thread with paddle later on:
The saw is surprisingly lightweight and feels very comfortable in use more so than I expected even with all the stainless steel hardware, although now that I used it – for size, I think I’ll make another smaller one for joinery (was hoping to have an all-in-one joinery+general cuts saw). For now this will work for what I need it for though:
Next I milled and rounded some mahogany for the handles. here is rough initial rounding with a #5:
I then turned it to size and shape, and drilled the core to accept the 1/2” stainless steel blade clips:
and Viola, the saw is complete (well, I do need to glue in the handles to the clips, but other that it’s done):
Thanks for watching,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.