been a while since I was in the shop, and since I stopped on this project, and felt it’s time to get it back on the plate and drive it to completion. I was in a mental block until now and it’s time to move on.
What I did today was to resize the blade to the saws intended size. Using the frame I placed the blade and marked where the 2nd mount hole should be at, punched it in, and started drilling it up.
The first hole attempt resulted in a broken drill:
NO, the blade is not hardened, and NO you don’t need carbide drills to work it – Its just that this drill is really small and delicate, and well – I didn’t use coolant/lubricant – so my bad!.
The rest of the holes moving up to the final size went great when I added lubricant (I used lard – it’s organic, non toxic, no harm to skin, and its recycling):
I then used another blade to get the shape of the edge in relation to the mounting hole, and scribed the new edge where it should be cut:
To cut the blade I used a regular metal cutting hack saw – nothing special. I mounted the blade in a vise, and to make it easier for the saw to start the cut, I used a file to notch a starting slot:
And followed along with the saw:
Then filed it to the scribed line and rounded off the edges. now it’s sized well for the frame:
now to shape the frame, sand and finish it.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.