Following yesterdays work I continued shaping the remaining parts. Yesterday I used a rasp on some smaller parts, and today having to work on larger parts and more of them I decided to forgo the rasp work and power up the oscillating belt sander. Looking back now, I am not sure it was any faster, but it required less muscle work at the cost of more dust in the air – and lots of it!.
For parts that had duplicates I only shaped 1, and then using the router table and a flush trim bit transferred the shape to the 2nd part:
The plan called for a 1/8” roundover around most parts. I don’t really care much for the roundover look so instead I went with a chamfer on the RT:
The back support was only chamfered on the top part that is extruding from the body and the saddle half circles were only chamfered on one side each (other side is pressed against the horses body):
Before I pulled off the template from the wood, I used it one last time to drill the holes. I couldn’t find my 3/8” forstner so I used a spur bit instead with careful operation:
After the holes were drilled (and transferred to the lower/other part) I pealed off the template which came off pretty easily and power sanded all the parts smooth with 220 and a ROS.
Attaching the external parts (ears, and feet support):
and putting it all together:
I am still missing handles, but that doesn’t seem to have matter much:
Apparently when put together it does fit a 4y/o even though at first it seemed it would be too small so I take back what I said last time about the size being too small for that age.
Anyways, this horse is a total success, and it went on many rides the moment it was out of the shop – very cool.
Total build time ~ 1 day from start to finish. We later colored it and it is now in the drying process of 2nd coat of shellac. I’ll post about this when done as there is not much to see in the drying stage.
Thanks for reading,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.