LumberJocks

Machinist Toolcart #13: Finishing Touch

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by PurpLev posted 09-16-2011 03:39 AM 1752 reads 0 times favorited 3 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 12: Spoken Too Soon: A Lesson in Drawer Planning/Measuring/Fitting Part 13 of Machinist Toolcart series no next part

After realigning the drawers by fixing the slides, and trimming some drawers, I made sure everything fits. I predrilled 3 holes in the drawer fronts through the pull slots that will later be covered, one in the center, and 1 on each side:

I transferred the center hole from the drawer front to the drawer and once alignment was satisfactory I transfered the other 2 holes as well:

I used my combination square ruler to space the fronts from each other, and made sure that all the drawers and fronts were aligned properly and that everything opens and closes with no interferences and smoothly:

Next I glued the pulls to the fronts covering the holes (that will remain there for alignment later on) and finished the drawers. the finish on the drawers is as follows:

1. 1st coat of shellac – dried after 1hr, easily sanded clean
2. 2nd coat of shellac – dried after 1hr, easily sanded clean
3. 3rd coat of oil based wipe on poly let dry 6 hours overnight
at this point the night (2am) has ended but I was able to already have the parts sealed and protected
4. 4th coat of oil based wipe on poly let dry for rest of the day (while I’m at work)

I found it interesting that I had the exact number of needed pyramids to keep the parts off the ground which allowed me to finish the entire part in 1 step as opposed to 2 steps (front and back).

I cam home from work, and lightly took off the shine of the finish with 0000 steelwool and felt it was good enough to be put on the cabinet.

I realigned and screwed on the faces with the center screw tight enough that it held the face in place, closed the drawer, made sure its all aligned well and lightly positioned the face properly if it wasn’t. reopened the drawers, and drove in the 2 side screws (self drilling KREG screws with flat heads) to pull the fronts tight and flat to the drawers all across their width:

And Voila. the rolling toolcart is complete (construction wise):

Click for details

I still want to french-fit the tools in the drawer, but that will take some time until I decide exactly how I want to do this. for now I have premade place holders that do the trick, so probably not something I’ll partake anytime soon.

Cabinet is built, and works great! finally…

Thanks for reading,
Peace

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.



3 comments so far

View therookie's profile

therookie

887 posts in 2293 days


#1 posted 09-16-2011 04:01 AM

very very nice I really like it.

-- http://aewoodworks.webs.com

View Karson's profile

Karson

35035 posts in 3866 days


#2 posted 09-16-2011 05:14 AM

Cool: Nice build process.

Thanks.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware soon moving to Virginia karsonwm@gmail.com †

View Lee A. Jesberger's profile

Lee A. Jesberger

6821 posts in 3445 days


#3 posted 09-16-2011 01:20 PM

Nice job, Sharon.

Lee

-- by Lee A. Jesberger http://www.prowoodworkingtips.com http://www.ezee-feed.com

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com