We had a beautiful weekend, blue clear sky, sun shining and smiling, birds were singing, even the temperature was behaving – just a beautiful weekend.
and I was sick.
I waited until I could regain enough focus since loss of focus in woodworking is a bad idea and can only lead to disastrous consequences either to the project or worse to ones self and trotted to the garage only to find that the material I had planned to use didn’t look all that fitting to the purpose of acting as drawer fronts. I wanted the front of the cabinet to have a balanced, even, and simple (no crazy grain flows) look to it but instead what a little plaining of the lumber I had revealed was some pretty wonderful grains that didn’t match if ones life depends on it:
So after pondering about I decided that those boards will be better served for other purposes where they can really shine (under a glossy finish that is), made a cut list plan to see how much material I’d need and drove to the lumberyard (was hoping to avoid this, but after putting all this effort and planning into this project I’d hate to mess it up with the drawer fronts which are all about ‘show’). I tried to keep expenses to a minimum so I chose to get some S3S 1/2” material hoping that if I get a straight enough board I can use it ‘as is’. I found a 9ft board that met my requirements (width, length, and simplicity of grains) and had it crosscut at the lumberyard to fit in the car and off we went for a ride back home:
Once home, I rough cut it to the faces parts which were found to be far from straight (for some reason I expected a surfaced board to be jointed flat… I guess I was wrong) and had to joint and plane it down some. I tried to keep as much thickness as possible, not ideal but thats what I have to work with:
took the parts to the cabinet and made sure it all fit (I actually had to trim some parts):
and so I was left with these faces:
And then the fun began. I ripped some 1”x1/2” strips of mahogany to make full width drawer pulls. to get a better grip I decided to route the bottom of the pulls. I setup my router bit at the appropriate height:
set my router fence at the appropriate distance to get a full cut (half bit wide) and stepped the fence back 1/8” (the Incra fence is a dream to work with for this purpose as it allows one to quickly move the fence at known and precise distances to sneak up on cuts or similar operations without fussing with anything). I then took 2 passes to get my pulls shaped up. Next I set a straight bit in the router table ,and routed a groove in the drawer fronts to align the pulls with. The groove was marked according to where the drawer slide is located per drawer so that the pulling force on the drawer will be in line with the drawer to avoid shear forces acting on the drawers and the pulls:
And then I cut the pulls to length per drawer (most are same size except 2 smaller upper drawers):
and I got these:
I wanted something that would fit well with the cabinet and be a full length pull. I think these will do well, and if not – I’ll figure something else out somehow.
It’s kinda painful throwing away cutoffs that you feel can still be used somewhere, but I just can’t keep everything around it’s just becoming very messy and overcrowded, and so I say farewell to some smaller pieces:
And went ahead and aligned and screwed the drawer fronts by drilling holes through the slots that would later accept the pulls. Currently this is just a place holder, and when I put in the pulls, the screws will be screwed in from the inside. I currently have 1 drawer that doesn’t open well and I’ll need to trim the drawer box itself as it’s just too high and too close to the drawer above it (causing the problem) but other than that things look good, and the next step after some trimming and cleaning up would be finishing the drawer fronts and pulls, and putting them up:
Very glad to be done with the cutting process. now just a finishing touch!
Thanks for reading,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.