Another small step forward. I was able to mill some mahogany today for the face frames. I milled some 7/8”x1/2” strips from 1 long board that I was hoping would be enough for both front and back face frames but unfortunately it only yielded enough material for the front which is also all I had time today to manage.
So I joint a board with my #6 so that I can then rip it on the TS to long narrow strips 7/8” wide (to cover the 3/4” plywood with excess that I could then trim flush) and ~1/2” thick. I find that I am less inclined to use power tools lately – too much noise, dust everywhere, and the breaker keeps on popping (I live in a rental and only have 1 15Amp circuit I am running everything on, and it’s not really wired properly as far as I can tell). unless I need multiple identical parts I find that handplanes, hands saws, and chisels are much more enjoyable to use.
I cut a center groove in all the face frame parts to match those I made in the carcass to take a spline, and from some left overs I was also able to mill some spline material ~1/8” thick:
I cut the splines into 6” sections which helped with the next step which was cutting the exterior frame to size and mitering the corners. the splines helped hold the face frame parts in place so taking measurements and marking the parts was easier with both hands available for that purpose. this left with the cut parts ready to be glued after a dry fitting:
here you can see the splines in place, I later (prior to gluing) moved them closer to the corners to help align the miter joints better:
I am kinda taking this slow, so I figured I’ll do the frames in baby steps rather than preparing all parts and doing 1 glueup and so I glued up the exterior front face frames and then moved on to work on the dividers faces. I wanted to give the cabinet a clean look, and so the corner joints are all mitered, but I also wanted to give the cart a hint of the machinist toolbox I made which was heavy with dovetails to kinda tie them together. What I did was use dovetails to join the dividers in the face frame.
I cut the dividers to length (horizontal first, and after It was glued in and set I did the same for the vertical) keeping the length about 3/4” longer than the space it was holding for the joinery. I free cut the tails without really measuring the angles or anything. since there was just 1 tail on each side, I figured there is no need to try and keep them all the same. I place the divider at an angle and make a vertical cut that equates to an angle cut on the part. I find that if I place the part vertical and try to make an angled cut – it just doesn’t work (for me):
After cutting the tails, I sliced off half of each tail’s thickness. there is still enough material to ‘grab’ the joint, and the added step allows me to easily place the part over and register against the mating parts and trace the tail where the socket will be:
I then trace the tail, saw the side lines as much as possible, and chisel the rest:
Then it was glueup time – which wasn’t very fascinating, so I didn’t take a picture ;). That will have to wait until the next time – trimming time.
Slow going, but at least it’s going. it starting to look better than I had thought it would, which is a nice surprise.
Until next time,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.