But since I didn’t hear no fat lady sing I have not yet come to a halt.
Now is the fun part – the small add ons. First on the list was the wire drawer, or the strings drawer. My plan was to house 2 rolls of wires in a drawer, and pass the wires through the draw front so that the wires can be pulled and cut to length without the need to open the drawer at all. I was also thinking about implementing a blade in the drawer front so that the wires could be cut without a need for an additional cutter/scissors but this time around I decided to pass on the execution.
when I designed the box I did not have a roll of wire to take measurements. I should probably have googled it, but alas I ended up making the drawers not tall enough to be able to fit the rolls vertically side by side. The alternative is to stack them horizontally one on top of the other. Not as originally planned, but not a bad thing as it makes the drawers shallower and more fitting for the rest of the stuff (Beads).
I machined a stand for the rolls out of Derlin:
My basement is full of black stringy shavings all over – pretty cool, but will need to be cleaned off once I can turn the vacuum on tomorrow (too late for that today)
I ended up making the stand with a round base and a tall post and 2 spacers to separate the 2 rolls from one another and from the bottom of the stand:
The stand attaches to the bottom of the drawer with a screw from underneath, then goes a spacer, roll 1, another spacer, and roll 2.
For now as requested I did not drill the front of the drawer to access the wires, but instead I drilled and pulled the wires from the back of the drawer, so although the wires can stay stationary in the drawer it will just have to be pulled out and turned around – the front holes can always be drill at any time if desired:
Thats all for now, just some turning practice and having some fun.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.