Today I was able to resaw some 3/4” boards to make the 3/8” (slightly less) material for the drawers, cut the parts, and joinery, and put it all together for a dry fit.
I had originally planned on having 9 individual drawers in the center compartment, but for lack of materials and time, I ended up making 3 large drawers and I’ll put dividers in those and see how it goes, for ease of use it might be better to make 3 smaller boxes for each drawer so that each one can be taken out individually.
The drawers are all using finger box joints, but unlike a regular box where all parts are flush at the bottom, I wanted to have a 1/8” step on the bottom of the fronts so that they’ll act as depth stop against the drawer dividers. In order to get that step I simply started both the fronts and the sides of the drawers aligned flush with the finger-joint-jig spacer which caused the fronts to be 1 finger lower and since I’m using 1/8” fingers it game me the desired step down (My Finger Joint Setup):
the bottoms are made of masonite and will not react with humidity, the sides/back is poplar, and the fronts are oak from pallets that I disassembled:
Overall, lots of finger joints which takes a bit of time, but it all fits perfectly. Normally I would route the slot for the bottoms with a start and end stops so that the grooves will not carry through the ends and show on the sides of the box, but in this case I’m going to veneer the drawers fronts so it doesn’t really matter.
Next, cleaning up the drawers, making some final adjustments/dividers in the large drawers, glue them up, set slides for the lower set of drawers (so that they don’t ride on the ‘table’), veneer the fronts and add knobs and I’m close to finishing up (as in putting finish on them)
not much, but still some work to go through – the old 80/20 concept, you do 80% of the project in 20% of the time, and then 20% of the project in 80% of the time…
Thanks for reading,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.