Jack and Jill,
Went up the hill.
To fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down,
And broke his crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.
Then up Jack got,
and home did trot.
To old dame dob,
Who fixed his KNOB,
With vinegar and brown paper.
What does this have to do with a machinist toolbox? well. I also had to fix my knobs, but not with vinegar and not with brown paper (although the walnut IS indeed brown)... read on:
I wasn’t feeling too well today so I probably should not have done much work, but being so close to the end I couldn’t resist.
The drawer pulls
My original concept was to use a rectangular pull indented into the drawer front and have a 1” hole to allow finger access to the pull:
The concept was good, and I like the design, however it entails a practical flaw – at 1” diameter hole, there isn’t enough room to fit 2 fingers in order to grab the pull. Back to the drawing board…
I thought about constructing something similar to this:
But at the scale I’m working with I decided to go with something more mechanical put and simple. The idea is – I needed to figure a way to create some surface that would counter the pulling force of a finger, and I came to the following pull:
It will fit into my 1” diameter holes, allow ample access for 1 finger which will then catch on the back angle. In theory this can also be done without the back ‘disk’, but since I had drilled 1 pull hole in a drawer front too deep (not too deep – that drawer had different mechanics that blew the drawer bottom through the hole) I figured this would cover it up, Also it makes alignment in the 1” hole real easy as it fits snugly inside and won’t fall off due to gravity.
To make the pulls I started with a hole saw, 1 1/4” diameter. The 1 1/8” diameter hole saw created a plug that was a tad too loose in my holes so I chose on going oversized than undersized.
Next I used my lathe and turned those plugs to a piston fit in the holes to within 0.001” in diameter – not really necessary, but it was good practice on turning to specific size:
Once I had a good fit, I pushed the plug into the drawer front, and marked the depth. At that point I was able to cut off the excess on the bandsaw. The parts being so small and round (hazard) were not an easy cut. I used wooden screw clamps as a sled since it has a good amount of surface that can safely ride the saw table and cut the line:
Once I had the sized plugs it was time to shape the pulls. Again using the same technique with the wooden clamps I held the parts on the ‘front’ of it, and cut 2 lines. 1 parallel to the back of the pull, and another angular to make the front of the pull:
The angle should be ~30-45 although it isn’t that relevant and won’t really be seen anyways. The important thing here is to create a back angle surface that will counter the pulling force of the finger. The shallower the the angle the more material is left on the pull making it more stout and less delicate. I freehand cut all of the pulls without worrying about internal appearance, and put 2 coats of poly on them to enrich the color more than any other reason:
I still haven’t decided if I’ll glue those in (silicone) or screw them in. At the moment I’m favoring the silicone to avoid introducing another material to the drawers fronts.
While at the saw, I also cut the 4 legs, and the parts for the front panel. this baby is coming to a complete state soon.
Thanks for reading,
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.