Yesterday was such a beautiful day, wasn’t too cold, and the sky was blue (today is cloudy and rainy). I was fortunate enough to be able to use the day for some woodworking.
I am at the point where I usually run into trouble. I have a tendency to want to work on the joinery and the problem is that I usually do that before I have all the parts ready leaving me with some parts that go together, but still require work to get the rest of it as well. This time around I decided to get all the parts ready before I get into joinery.
I ended up having to cut the 6” boards I had in half to make the final side panels of 10” since keeping them at full 6” width and glueing up another 4” board on one side would make them asymmetrical in an unpleasing manner.
I made the 2 side panels made of 3 vertical boards, and a top horizontal breadboard to (1) keep the vertical boards in line (literally), and (2) provide end grain on the front of the toolbox to mate with the front top rail which makes the top compartment and lid.
I had extra material length, and currently cut the sides 2” taller than the plan called for. I’ll see how it looks proportionally and if it works out will give me extra 2” for drawer space, if not- I’ll just cut it to it’s planned height before cutting the joinery and dadoes.
I also glued up the bottom panel, and like the sides, ended up making it 2” longer making the toolbox wider. If it works out visually that will give me a bit more space, and if not – I’ll cut it shorter.
For the drawer dividing panels, I ended up changing the original (tentative) plan of using solid panels, and decided to make those out of frames which would:
1. Reduce material needed – this will make it slightly lighter, and also makes it easier for me as I won’t have to make up really large panels
2. Adds dimensional stability – since the parts are narrower they are less prone to expand, and also since the grain goes in both directions it’ll help resist the changes slightly (the main thing is the parts being narrower though since if the wood decides to move – it’ll move)
I still need to make the vertical dividers, but those are small and easy to machine, the more important parts I’m still missing and need to make are the 2 panels – top (lid) and back, both are large, and I’ll need to get those done before I can put the whole thing together. So far this is what I’ve got:
So far so good, I hope this train keeps on going.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.