Had some good progress on the garage reorganization, Although it may not look like it.
To start, I wanted to tackle all the medium sized lumber that was now roaming around, scattered on the floor in various locations as it no longer had a dedicated place. I had 4 kitchen cabinets that I got off of craigslist a couple of years ago hoping it’ll help me get organized, but in the end, it just took wall space, and didn’t prove to be very useful, as it was just left as is, and ended up collecting everything that didn’t have a dedicated space. So I posted this morning the 4 cabinets on craigslist free listings, and the cabinets were GONE within 30 minutes. pretty cool.
Now that the cabinets were out, I hung the medium sized lumber shelvings in their place, and viola, no more lumber on the floor (well – except for sheet good that is – still need to deal with that later).
No pic for the lumber rack. but you can see it in my previous blog here (it just moved to the opposite wall).
So, with a little more floor space to walk around, I decided it’s time to finish up the duct for the DC. I had it layed out mostly, but couldn’t get to the last corner that goes to the bandsaw, router table, and drill press. what was stopping me from completing that run was that where I need to have a 90 (2 45s) turn I was storing my applewood logs.
The Applewood Logs Story
2007, I was just getting into woodworking, had a circular saw, drill, and a router. my wife saw an add on craigslist giving away applewood. I went to see the guy, a nice older woodworker that was moving out and was done with woodworking. he only had a few applewood logs left and was looking to pass it on to another woodworker. the deal was – it cannot be burned! after a tour in his house showing me all his woodworking projects (NICE) we came to the logs. 2 humungous logs. one at 14” diameter, ~7 feet long. I made an attempt to lift one side to get an idea how heavy it was – and decided there was no way I could take this, not to mention – how in the world will I slice it to usable lumber?!? all I had was a circular saw.
the guy than told me, although this may be too big – he has some smaller logs I can have if I wanted. I wanted!
So. I’ve been storing these for the past ~3 years, and actually later on bought a bandsaw with the purpose of slicing those logs into lumber. which I finally did today – more so to clear that corner than anything, but I’m glad I finally got to it.
My resawing logs skills definitely need improvements, but through the 6 logs I could see an improvement, and for what it’s worth – I think I got some decent cuts:
There are some nice grain flows in there, and this will probably be used for some boxes:
So. with the logs out of the way, I was able to finish cutting and running all the ductwork which looks like this:
I partially blocked all the ports and left only the TS open, and it’s better than what I had before – not stellar, but definitely an improvement for me. if I’ll seal and shut off all the ports I should get an even better suction on that port which is the longest run.
So far so good.
I also noticed after removing the old flex hose and blast gates, that none of the old blast gates were ever fully closed! and I also found some shavings that were stuck in the flex hoses.
So, some progress done behind the scenes, visually it doesn’t look much different, but with the DC setup, I am able to tackle the rest of the things easier.
Need some rest!
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.