Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here
At this point (see previous post for the methodology I chose to take for this project) , I realized that my plan for mass production, and gluing the long strips to one another to make the geometry would cause more trouble, and decided to cross cut them all to their final thickness instead, and in a way changed my work order to a ‘one of’ setup, albeit it would have been better if I did that to begin with as it would yield far better material to work with at this point – but, this is woodworking, and no perfect picture is needed (at least to me).
So we have the beveled strips, and some 1 maple and 1 cherry squared strip. I was hoping to make a thick a$& board, but looking at the available material at hand – a compromise is in order. so I made some calculations to see how thick I could make the blocks to yield me with 80 beveled squares, and 60 regulars – the results were in and the thickness was 1-3/8”
Tool Gloat Moment: I was planning on making a cross cut sled for a very long time. my plan was to get the aluminum extrusion that is used for the Incra Miter Express which houses your miter gauge and build a sled around that. this is great since you use your miter gauge for all the angles and don’t need much more to it. As it turned out, I Just scored an Incra Express on craigslist for less than I would have paid for just the extrusion part itself. and for the time being I don’t even have to build the larger sled as I’ll just use the thing as is till I need something bigger.
So. I set my cross cut sled on, and clamp a block of wood on the opposite side of the blade with a hand screw clamp to make the offcuts 1-3/8”.
The block of wood (stop) is a 2×4 and is located ahead of the blade. When I slide the sled backwards, I can quickly reposition the strip of wood to be cut by butting it against the stop, and pushing the sled through to make the cut – rinse and repeat:
this was a long process to make all 140 cubes, and gets boring after the first….mmm… 3 cuts :) however since this was the first time I was using a sled, and the cuts were being made so rapidly, this was kinda fun and meditating.
the results? 140 cubes, 80 beveled, 60 regular:
You can see the fuzz on the blocks – I wasn’t using a backer board on the miter fence, and this is the result. my bad. I was so excited to get shop time and I just wanted to build something. oh well :) good thing it was fun.
My original design had beveled cubes, and all maple regular cubes:
For lack of material, I didn’t have enough regular maple cubes, and had to supplement the board with cherry cubes. this called in some design changes on the fly, and while at it, as I was moving cubes around, I found that not only can I get the star of david – but by flipping over some beveled cubes I could also get the 2 lines that together with the star of david make up the Israeli Flag :)
So here lies the somewhat roughly cut material I will be working with to make the board:
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.