LumberJocks

Adventures in Spraying #4: Piece #2 - SUCCESS!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by PurpLev posted 1480 days ago 1130 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Piece 1 finished - recap Part 4 of Adventures in Spraying series no next part

So the first piece was really a “how does the trigger works” more than anything. some positions felt a bit awkward, and others’ were a mystery but all in all, a good learning experience.

as I posted earlier, the 1st piece is in front, while the original piece is in the back:

Lesson Learnt:

With the second piece, I followed some given advice added to the already advice I’ve been collecting online for the past who knows how long from people like Charles Neil (here on the forums) to FWW.com articles and the likes.

Coupled those tips and advices with my hands-on experience and understanding, the second piece came out fantastic! pretty much all the things I questioned about on the first piece were answered here. no more high glossy sheen, no more textured look. I actually got a nice flat, even, matte/satin finish on the piece! I’m SOLD.

What I did this time to make it better is this:

1. I decreased the material flow dial – letting less material flow from the gun

2. First coat was put on light, let it raise the grain, then cut it down with 600+ grit (I am told you can also apply 2nd wetter coat once 1st coat is tacky, and then cutt it with 320grit)

3. 2nd coat was applied heavier. then lightly smoothed out with 600grit

4. 3rd coat applied same way as 2nd coat

5. 4th coat applied same way as 2nd coat

6. 5th coat was added and buffed with steel wood #000

Which results in this: (new piece in front, and the previous ‘faulty’ piece behind it to compare)

The finish is nice and flat, even, has a nice matte/satin look to it – with no texture, no high spots, no high sheen, just NICE! I still had some small runs – nothing too bad, still need to practice no worries, but all in all, this one came out great!

After that, I cleaned the cup, put warm water in it, and sprayed that for ~2 minutes to clear the gun somewhat, then took the gun apart, and soaked it in warm water, brushed, cleaned all parts, and let it dry – total cleanup time was ~10-15min. not too bad considering I finished the entire piece in half a day with 5 coats on it and it’s sitting in the living room already.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Peace.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.



6 comments so far

View Karson's profile

Karson

34852 posts in 2996 days


#1 posted 1480 days ago

great job. Perfect output.

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware karson_morrison@bigfoot.com †

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

1460 posts in 2161 days


#2 posted 1480 days ago

Yep that looks great Sharon, a little more tweaking and you have it perfected.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View SPalm's profile

SPalm

4739 posts in 2478 days


#3 posted 1480 days ago

Sweet. Thanks for blogging this. I need to fire up mine and go through the same thing. That was pretty smart using an old Ikea thingy.

Steve

-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon

View ellen35's profile

ellen35

2556 posts in 2028 days


#4 posted 1479 days ago

Wow… quick learning curve, Sharon.
Looks great.
Ellen

-- "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." Voltaire

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

8476 posts in 2244 days


#5 posted 1479 days ago

Thanks for the comments, glad to know this was useful.

Steve, my ‘tip’ at this point would be to forgo the 1st piece and for the first attempt not try to spray a piece you have high hopes for, but just do it on something that wouldn’t matter too much ,and something that would be easy to fix if needed. I’m glad I chose those 2 pieces for my tests -thats one less thing to worry about, but at the same time – a benefit to have them refinished as opposed to just some 3/4” sheet of plywood. what more – spraying the curves,forms, openings, and ‘end grain’ on this piece did bring some good points to keep in mind.

Ellen. I AM very happy with the newly finished piece. it actually came out nicer than the original piece (pro finished at the factory)

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View CampD's profile

CampD

1188 posts in 2082 days


#6 posted 1478 days ago

:-)

-- Doug...

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase