OK, I’m actually already nearing completion of the 2nd piece which looks much better, but for this post, I’ll focus on my first-first experience with spraying, and the overall look, and results.
So. After giving the top coat (4th) extra time to dry (~4-6 hours while we were out). I came back and sanded it thoroughly with 600grit sandpaper. the results were mixed:
Newly finished piece in front, Original finish to compare in back
1. I had some runs which show in the finished piece. this is technique related, and will take practice, so not REALLT a con, but for this piece – it shows. no biggy as I was expecting boo-boos. just something to focus on.
2. The finish has a high gloss to it even though I chose (GF polaycrylic) satin finish. you can see in the pictures that the original piece with the original finish (in the back) has a nicer (to my eye) spread tone and not the harsh sheen the newely finished piece (front) has. This may not be related to spraying, but just another thing I am seeing – I may need to try a diff finish/brand
3. the finish has low and high spots. the low spots didn’t sand out like the high spots, leaving the finish with a textured look and not as even and flat as the original piece/finish. I believe this has to do with my coats not being consistent, and having my runs which made things even harder to get over. this is definitely something I can get better at though.
1. finished 4 coats in half a day
2. I stayed as clean as a whistle – really! no use of gloves, no messing with the finish on my hands/arms/clothes
3. very little labor involved -spraying time was short, and only involved minimal sanding which also didn’t take a lot of time or effort
All in all not too bad for 1st time around. there are things to improve, and things to work through and practice, but the overall results and potential are positive. For now I get much better looking results brushing, but I’m going to give spraying a few more chances in hope to get the best out of both worlds – quick,simple,clean and effortless finishing with good looking results.
Now to go check on the final coat on the 2nd piece (yeah, while I was writing this blog, I was able to put 4 coats on the 2nd piece already ;) )
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.