We had the day off today at the office, so I figured this is as good a time to spray some finish.
Fist thing first. I had to setup a way to spray while keeping the area somewhat separated from the rest of the basement in fear of contamination of the rest of the things. I also wanted to have a way to rotate the work so that I can spray all sides without having to walk around and being in the direction of the air flow (I have a box fan in the window to pull out the overspray etc.
I initially had a tarp that I hung on the basement ceiling joists with hooks that can easily be taken off/put on. problem was the tarp was very heavy, and not easy to work with, and it also didn’t pass the light making the spraying area dim. I replaced it with some 4mil drop cloth plastics which was a very good upgrade as it’s lighter, I could cut it to size easily, and it lets the light come through from the other lights in the basement.
the next thing that I did was setup a turn table. since I did not have any hardward to make anything permanent, I just put 2 masonite sheets (40×48) with the smooth sides facing each other. this way I can easily rotate the top masonite sheet to present me with all the sides of the piece being sprayed.
I also used 4 chair-pads (the type that nails into the chair leg) upside down to hold my piece above the surface of the “table” so that I can spray underneath.
as I mentioned – I put a box fan at the window and opened the basement door so air comes in from door, and pulled out through window along with overspray etc. originally I had a furnace filter on the fan, but it fell due to poor tape quality – I need to get some bungee cords to hold it in place better.
All in all, here is what the setup looks like. it’s small, maybe not ideal, but gets me something to start with and learn what needs to be improved for my workflow:
All in all, I was hoping for a better result, but given this is the first time I’m spraying (anything for that matter) and that I’ve had no training, past experience or anything of that sort, I guess it’s not too bad.:
I was able to put 4 coats since 10am already which I think is all I’m going to put on it.
I had some runs on the first coat, I think I was spraying too much material, and in later coats I reduced the dial to let out less material which was easier for me to handle.
except for some bumps due to the runs, I do notice some texture in the finish in some areas. not sure if I didn’t put too much material there so there are dry spots, or if it’s the technique:
I definitely need more practice. the lighting made it a bit hard for me to see where I’ve already sprayed, and where the spray is going to. I wasn’t sure how much material to put, and the corners got more finish than the rest of the piece:
I think some areas got more finish than others, but hopefully I can buff this to a (somewhat) even finish to hide my errors a little bit.
good thing this is just a test piece. definitely start with something you don’t mind screwing up.
for now. I’ll let this dry thoroughly, buff it, and then can get a better view of how this came out.
I guess given the lack of experience and nature of this “adventure” – so far so good :)
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.