hand’t got the chance to post this on sunday, but I did get a chance to mill the drawer fronts to thickness, width, and height on sunday, and temporarily install them on the drawers.
for lack of materials the drawer fronts came to be 3/8”+ in thickness as opposed to the original plan of 3/4”, but since this is just drawer fronts, I’m not too concern about this. it actually makes it looks a bit more refined and elegant.
I do have some alignment issues as the drawers apparently were not glued square which causes the fronts to sit not flush with the face frames. I tried to hand plane the bottom drawer to hide that error, but then the glueup gave in – apparently the glueup in freezing temperatures didn’t really took hold as good as I thought it did. it was strong enough for some lateral pulling force, but now with some shear force on it it gave in. So I have the lower drawer front stored and well, waiting for a new drawer to be built on which I’ll attach the front. thats why the picture shows the lower drawer missing – RIP:
I aligned the fronts with a straight edge on the left side, and used a spacer to keep the gap between the drawer fronts even. I actually used a spacer from the top of each front face divider to the top of the drawer front. that way I didn’t have to have the drawer above the one I was installing in place which gave me more room for my hands to work with. I then held the drawer fronts in place temporarily with 2 screws that will later be taken off after I decide that I’m happy with the positioning, and the holes will be covered with the drawer pulls. this made it fairly easy to position and hold the fronts in place.
I’m pretty happy with the way this turned out. just gotta pay more focus to squaring off the drawers in the future. something I’m not very good at.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.