I picked up today where I left yesterday. today however, I had a bit more time to work on this. I printed the face frame design/layout from Sketchup, and out to the freezer we go:
I added the 2nd piece that makes up the back (had to use 2 pieces of plywood as I don’t have 1 large enough part for the back), and then I noticed that my plywood carcass is a bit out of wack- the back aligns with the left side, but the right side is a bit lower, ah crap, I guess I’ll have to shimmy shim the thing after all. I know where I messed up – I started putting the parts together in the wrong order, starting with the bottom and back, then had to align the left and right to 2 parts each. I should have started with the left-back-right, and align the bottom to all 3 parts which would then be align a the top… oh well, too late for me now.
Another unfortunate thing happened today. I am using pocket holes (and glue) for the construction of the carcass and face frame. somewhere towards the end of the carcass build my drill-bit-stop was pushed up (I guess it lost it’s grip) and the last part in the carcass was drilled too deep!!!!! which means, that the pocket screws once driven all the way in, end up being driven through the 2nd part, and are left with their tip exposed. I only discovered it later on after I placed the cabinet on my table saw, and felt it ‘grip’ the top of my TS – made some nasty scratches in the granite :( it’s only visual, and minor, and easily fixed with epoxy, but I would have had it better if it didn’t happen at all. just something to keep an eye on when doing pocket holes… uuuuggggghhhhh. I wonder what would have happened with Cast Iron – would it scratch as well?
so, aside from the scratches on the granite, and the low right side which will need to be trimmed and shimmed to match the rest of the cabinet to make it steady, and have a good support for the top, It ended up pretty nice. this sucker is getting heavy, and from now on (after I put the casters on) will stay on the ground:
In terms of progress, I’m at the end of day 2 and have accomplished what I was planning to accomplish at the end of day 1. could say that I’m 1 day behind… or more mathematically correct – that I’m working in half-throttle, and at 1/2 the production rate. as it seems, I’ll at least have the cabinet made by the end of the weekend, so it can stand on it’s own and not take benchtop space. drawers, and the rest, can be taken on one at a time later on.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.