Finally had a weekend with shop time, but alas – mother nature had other plans.
Saturday was 14 degrees (F). a bit on the chilly side of things, but I figured I need to make use of that time. so I took out the phenolic sheet (36”x36”) and marked it for both 24” width and 28” width. I wanted to get a visual representation of the actual top size. the 28” looked a bit too wide in sketchup, and the 24” is the “standard” when you purchase a top. looking at both marked sized the 28” does looks somewhat too wide, and does not conform to the golden-aspect but the 24” was too narrow especially considering the cabinet space I want to have underneath. I decided on the 28” and made the cut.
I dont like working with phenolic. I really dont. the dust gets on everything, and is super fine. I worked outside with mask/goggles on and made sure garage doors are closed, it still made a mess on everything. I then vaccumed the remains. if it was a warmer day – I might have also air-blow clean my tools (circ-saw) but in such cold temp. my air compressor won’t compress air. it’ll run and run and run, but the pressure in the tank won’t rise- seems like the air is leaking from the actual motor or the motor is not even capable if compressing the cold air. sucks – but that’s the DCs job. oh well. have to clean it up when it warms up a bit (summer?)
because of the phenolic dust – I did not have my cam with me, so pics of the top will only be seen later. I took the top and put it on saw horses in the garage which I re-organized to make room for the router table – It will be positioned as an outfeed table for the TS.
Sunday was a bit warmer, but the 8” of snow kept me from getting to the garage. instead, it was snow throwing day. it was snowing for most of the day, and I did not care much for the idea of being inside the garage when snow might be blowing in (cracked window, under garage door)... instead, I figured I might make use of the time to finalize the design in Sketchup and get mentally prepared for the parts I need to make.
This is what I came up with:
the triton router will be mounted directly to the top with no plate – if It doesnt work out I can always cut the opening bigger to drop in a plate later on. under the router there will be a pullout shelf that can house the 2 routers I have for storage. and a set of drawers on the other side for everything router related (layout tools, bits, inserts, jogs, accessories, etc), the shelf under the router is slanted towards the back for DC purposes:
what I like about sketchup, is how it makes things easier, when I can explode a view and get a simpler idea of the parts I need to make, their sizes, and hole/alignment locations:
for lack of materials, I may replace the full sized 3/4” thick back piece, with 3 narrower parts, and cover it up with 1/4” ply/masonite to cover the seams. I don’t really want to get a full sheet just for that missing part.
I’ll let this image settle in a little, and this week hopefully drive this project from start to end during the xmas days off from work.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.