It’s interesting how it feels like you’re standing still when you’re working on already dry-fit parts for additional features. After all – at the end of the day when you look at all the parts – they seem to look just the way they did in the morning. bummer.
but even though things don’t seem that way somethings. Progress IS progress, and is one step closer to the finish line.
Today I implemented the hardware for the leg vise in the right leg (I’m a lefty). this involved drilling the 1-1/8” hole for the vise screw, drilling the 1-3/4” hole in the back of the leg to take the vise nut, and recessing (chiseling) the nut rectangular body into that leg:
This would have been made much easier if I had a 1 3/4” drill to counter-bore for the nut… alas, I do not have that size bits, and also all my bits are only 2.5” long, making this quite challenging, as I had to drill from both sides while keeping the holes aligned, and also sanding the holes to enlarge them to their final size and fit – all in all, it came out pretty good, just took a long while.
Also I drilled he rectangular hole for the parallel guide above the leg rail (yes, I know some have it below the rail… personal choice here).
Since I’m all done with boring and working on each of the legs parts individually, I was able to glue them up, and also already have 1st coat of BLO on those:
Once I’m finished with the legs, I’ll be able to set them up permanently (well, they do come apart for future disassembly, but at least I’ll be able to set them up for the final time before putting the entire bench together). and move on to focusing entirely on the top.
Since I felt I did not make any new parts, I spend a couple more hours in the shop (don’t have too much shoptime lately, so I take every minute I can get), and laminated 2 nails-free strips of maple. total length was 70” which includes 62” for the benchdog strip, another 5” for the sliding vise dog block, and an extra piece that I can use as a spacer once I glue the entire bench together:
This was my first time opening the cover on my drill press and changing speed! (to a slower speed) as drilling 3/4” holes in this 2.5” hard maple was quite a challenge for my DP (Delta 16.5” 3/4hp) – not that It couldn’t handle it, but it just felt like slowing it down would be easier on the bit, on the wood, and on my DP. it seems to have been a wise choice, as the bit had an easier time getting through time time around.
you can also see the somewhat clean bottom of the large piece which will be the majority of the top ( still with nails inside) after I cleaned it (mostly) from the tar using a wire-brush wheel. I bought the wire-brush from sears, it was ~$12 (sears brand) and first time I used it ever. by the end of this top, there were no more wire strands left (at all) on the wheel, I ended up working with just the nut by the time I was finishing up- not ideal, and this was very messy (think tar dust) – but the bottom is pretty clean after 30 min of ‘easy’ work – clean enough that I can flatten the areas that will sit on the legs.
Another fruitful day. maybe another coat of BLO tonight, and off we go to work on the top (next time around).
Thanks for reading, and have a great week.
-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.