When my son and I tore the ceiling out last summer to repair the truss’ and replace the heavy 3/4 fiber board ceiling with luan, we had to remove the existing upper cabinets in the kitchen because of the way they were built. Once I could get into my wood shop and after most of the horrible winter snows and freezes were pretty much over, I set about building the cabinets I had done the drawing for previously.
The new cabinets should be much lighter but install like normal kitchen cabinets because of their framework (the existing had no frame and was built in place).
I used poplar because of its strength, weight and how well it takes paint. I’m building the cupboards in sections so I can take them down in my truck bed or inside the Subaru (if it rains) and assemble them in sections. There will be (2) glass front cupboards with 2 shelves each. A center section of shelves only with the new hood vent/light and (2) more sections of just exposed shelves.
I’ve now painted the 2 enclosed cabinets and installed a couple pieces of glass to see how heavy the glass made the doors. I was toying with using plastic instead of glass but the glass is light enough. I’m adding some fret work to the doors to emphasize they’re shore cabinets too.
We’ll probably go down to the beach place to hang the finished work in a couple weeks so I’ll post them as a finished project then.