In my last post I explained that my garage only had one outlet in the whole 20×20 space. Today noknot and I fixed that by hooking up the wiring for the new garage “workshop wall”. I haven’t repaired the drywall yet, but these pictures let you see how we ran them.
First we cut a strip of drywall out to run the horizontal wires:
Then, we ran the wires down the central beam that runs across my garage. I know this looks kinda, uh, scary now but this will soon be covered by a bulkhead that I’m going to build out about 4” out from the side of the beam. The 2-gang box hanging down in the middle will be mounted in the new bulkhead, giving me a spot to plug in shop lights, air cleaners, and maybe a cord reel.
Here it is with all the outlets wired, tested, and buttoned up- now all thats left is the drywall.
There are two GFI protected 20 amp circuits- the first two outlets from the left are on one circuit for the dust collector, the other 3 outlets are on a separate circuit so I can run more than one thing at once (i.e. table saw and dust collector, etc.).
After that, noknot and I drove for an hour and a half up to Rockler and got the rest of the pieces to hook up my dust collector, which is arriving on Monday. During the never ending drive through downtown Atlanta (twice!) we both remembered why we normally shop online for Rockler crap.
Then, to celebrate, I plugged my router table and table saw in to the new outlets and made myself a zero clearance insert.
The house didn’t burn down, so I consider the whole wiring project a success.
Here is the old blower I scored for free that I’m going to make an air filtration system out of- it makes an awesome garage fan when you’re trying to wire a workshop up in Georgia when there is 100% relative humidity.
Yes folks, those are authentic 1968 Fury III bumpers in the background. I know, impressive.
Then, I told my wife to go make me dinner. Here she is doing it:
And these are the hamburgers she grilled me:
All in all, a pretty good day.
-- Jason, Atlanta, GA