Hello again, only 19 days later! I must be on a roll, though not a whole lot has happened.
Thank you for all the kind words, I am very glad that this series is being well enjoyed!
Okay, so first up I cut some corners! Not to save time, but to make them even (ish). So they’re cut to length with a really big chisel.
The angle of the flat surface (if you lay a ruler flat) crosses the centerline of the instrument at the inside of the furthest away non-corner block. I should have a picture for this to make perfect sense, but I don’t, sorry.
And the face of the corner should be square to the back surface plane. Next the corners are shaped to the proper thickness, being about 2-2.5mm depending on one’s personal preference. I used a dowel with sandpaper stuck to it, as seen here in this hard to comprehend photo:
So all that is left to do on the ribs is sand them smooth to say 400 grit, wetting in between each, and I usually do the rougher grits twice, seems to get a better surface. Also to shape the linings.
On to exciting stuff!!
Remember that back joint I made with my block plane? Well I didn’t like it, so I stuck a knife in it and it popped apart with zero tear out. That means it was a bad joint.
Magnified shot of why I didn’t like it:
It’s not that visible in the picture, but there’s a thick glue line in the joint.
I recently purchased a jointer, the electric kind. I did a practice joint using it on a piece of maple violin sized. Frankly it was the fasted joint I’ve ever made. I face jointed, edge jointed, cleaned up the joint with a block plane and glued a joint in about 20minutes. I was hoping the cello joint would go so smooth, but alas it did not. While the violin plates had no twist after running over the jointer the cello one’s did. I guess the tables are not flat! And they’re not, I checked with a straight edge, I guess that’s what you get if you’re not willing to spend more than $700 taxes in. So the jointer cleaned up my edge a bit, and the rest went by block plane.
Very slow work. After an 8 hour day I glued the joint:
Then took it apart again…:
Joints can be very discouraging, especially when you’ve taken them apart twice! I worked on it for another day, got really close, then screwed that up. Another day, closer… went on the LeeValley website and ordered a Veritas® #5-1/4W Bench Plane and a parallel jaw clamp…
This plane is the bee’s knees, check this out!
Though I have some reservations on their definition of sharp, because they say it come with the blade ready to use and frankly it had a burr on the back side the size of ceder hedge!
Anyway… 20 minutes and a perfect joint, yay! The parallel clamp made a huge difference too. Unfortunately (or not) I forgot to take pictures of the glued up plates and the clamp.
Next while that dried and I didn’t want to make a lot of noise I worked on my scroll design. The scroll template I have is about 1 cm too long to be convenient when fitting a cello in a case. Since this cello body is also shorter than the one the scroll was meant for, it would make sense for them to match a little. So I traced the template, and removed a central piece.
The new design:
The new, superimposed on the old, so you can see the difference:
That’s it for now, I’m going to work on the top joint next.