This morning I started out with this mahogany scrap:
From which I had decided to try and make two mallets, why I hadn’t made them before I don’t know, I have tried everywhere to buy one down here, they just don’t sell them, they use their hammer, so I had imported a beech one from Amazon, which including taxes cost me $34 / £24, twice the listed price.
I started off by cutting the handles on the bandsaw, as this would determine the size of the holes in the heads.
I then marked the 3”x3” out for the heads, and marked the holes, which I first drilled out with a forstner bit, then I used my mallet and chisels to finish the job. I didn’t cut the heads until I had finished the holes, it made the piece easier to work with.
Then using my compound mitre saw, I cut the head with a 5° angle on the faces, ,gave them both a good sanding, putting a slight chamfer on each edge of the faces, slotted the handles into the holes, and gave them a coat of mineral oil.
Just under three hours and I have two mallets I am very pleased with!
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright