The weather here in Colombia is such that, even when it is winter it remains at least warm, we have no heating, and drying clothes, bedding etc. is no problem, we have a covered drying area outside, but after a shower, my towel until now, has been draped over anything available upstairs, where it has dried but looked unsightly, it was time to do something about it.
I pondered on design, as I had some 1”dowel and plywood, but in the end went with trusty 2×4!! For the first time I got to use my Dado blade, I have never used one before, they are illegal in the UK and many European countries, mainly because, I think the table-saw arbors are not long enough. I bought mine from the US at the end of last year, but had never used, I guess because I was wary of it, but I’m glad I decided to use it, it made work so much easier, and it has had plenty of use since.
Yes sir!!!! I am definitely a dado blade fan! and soon had my half lap joints cut. The wall board, I decided to attach to the frame with mortice and tenon, The tenon was easy, no cutting involved, I am just inserting the towel frame into the wall board. The mortice joints I marked by standing the frame on the board and marking around the ‘tenons’, I used a chisel to define the marks, before using a forstner bit to take the bulk of the waste out of the joint.
Then removing the rest with a chisel. I tried the frame in the board to make sure it would fit, this was done whilst the frame was still clamped for the glue to dry.
fortunately it was a great fit, and no extra work was needed…for a change.
Before attaching the two pieces together, I sanded the whole piece, and then using my trim router, put a 1/2” roundover on the support frame, to make it easier when draping a towel over the bars, making sure I stopped before the part used as a tenon.
I also drilled three holes with a forstner bit in the wall board, followed by a drill bit, to recess the wall mounting screws.
The mortice and tenons were then glued together, with an added screw from the back, after a final sanding.
After I stained it and it had dried, I must have spent over an hour that night, just trying to attach the drying rack to the house wall on the balcony, with various sized fixings, the problem is that the ‘bricks’ are hollow, and nothing would hold. In the in end I gave it up as a bad job.
The following morning, I headed off to Homecenter, and bought two different types of wall fasteners, fortunately the first I used worked, and I now have the drying rack up and working.
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright