Two weeks ago I started preparing the parts for Jay Bates, Lever Router Lift Extension, I had a pile of plywood and some bits of metal, then went down with the flu, (thanks Mother in law!), which brought it to an abrupt halt for a week.
It isn’t often I follow a plan, I’ll use it and adapt it to my own needs. However on this occasion, other than changing some of the dimensions to fit on my saw table extension wing, which is a couple of inches shorter than Jay’s, but the same depth, I am following this plan to the letter, because I don’t think I can improve on this version, and to be honest, I’m not enjoying it, it’s like being back at school, and I didn’t like that much either!
It grieved me having to buy the flat bar and square tubing, because, I only needed 3ft of the former, and 2ft of the latter, but had to buy 6m of both, money grabbing HomeCenter don’t sell short lengths, and the local welders know that, so if you go to them for a short length they bung up the price!
Jay’s plan is colour coded every part, because it originated in Sketchup, which is a bit inconvenient to say the least, because my colour printer ran out of ink months ago, I only use my black laser jet printer, so I am lettering every part, it was either that or dig my old laptop out, and load the plan on there, however I didn’t want it full of dust, so lettering the parts was the order of the day.
After two days graft, finally I have got the Lever Router Lift build completed, now I only have the task of fitting it to the Table saw, as an extension wing.
So how did it go? Well, let’s just say, I wont be building another in a hurry!
The carriage lift itself, went together fine, I just wish I had left greasing the slides, until I had finished, but you live and learn.
The control for raising and lowering is brilliant, it is very responsive, and easy to micro-adjust.
I admit to making some mistakes, I cut out the insert plate with the jig saw, I was supposed to then build a frame on the underside to run a router with a flush trim bit to square up the hole, but somehow I missed that bit, however as the insert fits like a glove, albeit not perfectly square, I am not too worried, until I need to replace the insert.
I also decided to insert the optional magnets on the pivot block, so the lever would stay in place, but I could not just insert them into the ply, because my ply is Colombian ply, and not 3/4”!! so I ended up cutting slots with the bandsaw, and bedding the magnets in epoxy.
Once the Lift part was completed, it was just a case of building the fence, and then spraying the table top / fence / hold downs with varnish, I bought clear brillante, or gloss to you! but true to the Colombian way, it is Matt, even after six coats and two cans it is still Matt…
As I have said before following plans is not my idea of fun, and it was a Royal pain in the proverbial… I think that although it was a .pdf plan, the fact that it was just copied from Sketchup was the problem, and if I was proficient at Sketchup, it might have been a lot easier. I like parts to be lettered, not coloured, especially when you need to print them all out, on a black ink only printer. Had I not ended up taking my old laptop down to the shop, I might have given it up as a bad job, but I am glad I didn’t, this is going to be a great asset, and I missed not having a router table.
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright