You buy a new table saw, and think…Great, can’t wait to get going, then you realise it isn’t quite that simple!
The first job was to do something about the pathetic mitre gauge that came with the Craftsman 21883, it was smaller than the one on my old Craftsman table top version. I wanted a mitre gauge I could use to the left or right of the blade, without having to dismantle it, or have two to interchange, the answer was to make a sliding fence.
The existing gauge has built in bolt/screw slots for an additional fence, why they don’t just provide a bigger one I have no idea. So I took a piece of scrap ply cut a slot in it, then routed over the slot to accommodate the carriage bolt heads.
That done and the bolts fitted, I faced it with some 2mm ply I had left over from another project. This covers the bolt heads and slot.
Now I have a mitre gauge that is worth using.
The next item lacking on the saw, is any outfeed support, my old one had a bar that extended out on two rods, but this…nothing. Being Colombia, forget going out and just buying a roller or ball rollers to make a decent outfeed support, they just don’t have them, and importing wasn’t an option.
Therefore it was a case of reverting to the old ways, and to be honest, there is nothing wrong with castors, they just aren’t the in thing!
So off I went and bought a dozen 2” castors, I wanted to make two, so I had options, a wide outfeed, an infeed and outfeed, or two outfeeds in tandem for extra long pieces. They were to be made to saddle my saw horses.
The table saw is 95cm high, the saw horses 76cm, so there had to be some adjustment, and this I did by having a piece of 3/4” ply on either side of the horse, with a piece in the middle which sit on the saw horse
I then fitted a piece of 4” x 2” in the top and attached the castors
and it works fine in all forms, because it is a snug fit on the saw horse, there is no requirement to clamp it in position, which is an asset.
Next, was the cross-cut sled, I hadn’t given this a thought, went to get my existing one of the wall of jigs, and then realised it wouldn’t fit, but I could still use the front and back fence off the old one, they are two pieces of 3/4” ply laminated together, the base overall is 30” x 20” again 3/4” ply and the track rails are mahogany.
The base I have waxed, using my beeswax and mineral oil mixture, it slides easily in the tracks now.
Finally to date, a Mitre sled, I didn’t have one of these previously, relying on my sliding compound mitre saw, but doing more and more mitre joints, I thought whilst making jigs etc, I would add this to the list.
Again the base is 3/4” ply, the mitre fences and the track rails are mahogany, and the back hand rail is 4” x 2” pine, to keep my fingers well away from the action, again the bottom has been waxed.
Next up, a router planing jig!
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright