The Gazebo is nearly finished, the first layer of roofing was T&G pine 1/4” thick planks, which I nailed with my air nail gun.
That wasn’t so bad, as I could do most of the work from a ladder, after which I fitted the barge boards. Then I had to felt it, and this took some time, because I had to do it when the sun was in, as soon as the sun comes out the tar melts and seals the felt to whatever it is in contact with. I battened the roof as I felted it, to avoid having to crawl around and damage the felt. It was bad enough being up there in the first place…I hate heights, and was crawling around like a baby, I just hope none of the neighbours had their camera out!
I used a straight plank as a guide, to nail the battens to the rafters, lining it up on the nails in the pine, this was 95% accurate, but there were seven misses in total, because one nail may have been to the right of a rafter, the next to the left, so when lined up, the next was a miss, but on the whole it worked.
I had one error, which only showed itself two days ago, the pine planking was 2m long, so the join was on the centre rafter, unfortunately on one side I somehow missed nailing the top two to the centre rafter, and they banana’d good style, and started to lift, I had no option but to go back up on the roof and fire some more nails through the felt. I will cut a piece of T&G and fit it over the gap.
I finished the wiring yesterday, so we now have power and light again
Now I just have to install some shelving, buy and fit the roof panels, but that is not urgent as the roof is watertight, we had a tropical storm last night to test that, and it was as dry as a bone this morning. Then there is just some cosmetic work to be done.
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright