I debated where to put this, then decided to stick with my Blog!
I had a makeshift lumber rack made out of an old prison bunk-bed frame, it did it’s job, but it took up too much space, then last week I watched Jay Bates from Jays Custom Creations, construct a simple lumber rack made from 2×4s and metal conduit on YouTube, and that spurred me on to build a new rack.
I hitched up the trailer and went off to Homecenter, bought a stack of 2×4s and some other timber for other projects, also I bought lengths of 3/4” EMTconduit at the equivalent of $5 for 3m.
Back home, I marked out the wall for the wooden uprights
Then cut the 2×4s to 1.6m lengths, I am a bit restricted by the height of the roof, and I wanted to have the space underneath for storing other items.
I now had to keep working whether I wanted to or not, my garage floor was a tip
I could hardly move about to get my tools.
To drill the holes for the conduit at an angle, Jay uses a pillar drill table he constructed that tilts, I have nothing like that, I just used a block of scrap wood, it seems to have worked.
Putting the uprights on the wall was a pain, I could have done with another pair of hands, but you can overcome anything if you think about it
My original intention was to put up six uprights, and give good support for 3m lengths, then I thought I was wasting space, because, it is not often I have 3m lengths in store, they come in and get cut, it is just that I have all the mahogany for the kiosko, once that goes, I wont need the storage. so I have reduced it to support 2.5m, and for now I will keep turning the longer timbers. The five uprights are fixed using panel fixers, I have never had the dubious pleasure of stud walls, both the house and workshop are constructed out of block, which has it’s own disadvantages, because they are hollow.
I managed to get the uprights fixed
Then I thought I was on the final straight, cut the Conduit, and it would be done, I cut the first length and went to install them…too big!! I couldn’t believe it, out came the tape measure, despite the labels stuck on the tubes stating 3/4” they were in fact 7/8”. What was I to do, I couldn’t enlarge the holes, because the fasteners were at the bottom of each, I had no option, it was back to Homecenter, which is about 25 minutes away.
At Homecenter, they accepted that the pipes were wrongly labelled, in fact they knew about the problem, and agreed to exchange, but initially said they wouldn’t change the one I had cut, but on seeing the steam coming from my ears, they changed their tune, and I came away with 1/2” conduit at $3 each, which in fact is 3/4” !!!
Back home, I just wanted to get the project finished, so I cut the conduit, and then filled it with timber, the only difference between mine and Jay’s is the bottom row, only has 8” pipes, to take trim.
I was somewhat apprehensive about the overall weight, with most of it being mahogany, but 24hrs later it is still attached to the wall.
As a result, I now have more floor space, and more lumber storage, so I have won all round, thanks Jay!
-- If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain - Steven Wright