I got the rough version of the box built and attached to the back of the lathe. In addition, I decided to go with the first alternative on mounting the driven pulley (namely, Maska Pulley Hub with three fasteners to be attached through holes that need to be drilled accurately in pulley). I created two wooden plugs using two hole saws: i.) 1 7/8”, and ii.) 1 1/8”. Neither hole saw created the perfect size plug. So I wrapped electrical tape around the 1 7/8” plug (actually 1.579” for the plug due to each wall of the hole saw being about 85/1000s) until the plug for the driven pulley until it was very close to 1.640”. With the plug for the Maska pulley hub, I used a 1 1/8” hole saw which created a plug that was too big. I turned the 1 1/8” plug down on the drill press and then added a little electrical tape as took a little too much off. I then inserted each plug and attached them together with a 1/4” stud, washers and nuts. The whole assembly then fit into a 3/4” plywood piece to allow for the holes to be drilled. Unfortunately, I am having a propblem with the morse taper on my drill and the chuck keeps falling out. I need to get the chuck/MT problem fixed so that I can drill the holes through the driven pulley and then mount it to the hub.
Here are some pics of the project:
Hub and driven pulley bolted together (with plugs installed) while sitting on plywood board with 1/4” hole and recess for fastener attaching the hub and pulley together.
Hub and driven pulley bolted together (with plugs installed) – different angle1:
Hub and driven pulley bolted together (with plugs installed) – different angle2:
Hub and driven pulley bolted together (with plugs installed) – different angle3:
Plywood with recess to hold hub and driven pulley bolted together:
Plywood box roughed out and attached to back of lathe with motor mount/swivel bar assembly (3 pics):
I got the drill press chuck issue resolved (just a good cleanout of Morse taper was needed. Drilled holes through driven pulley to matchup with three holes on Maska Pulley Hub. Mounted pulley to hub and installed on lathe shaft without keyway for now. Tried the 30” J8 belt and it looks good so far. I have about 1” of lateral adjustment in positioning the driven pulley. I marked out the likely cutout on the box. Took the grinder to the motor mount. My intention is to remove the motor mount from its current location and reweld into new location.
Pics for today follow.
Driven pulley mounted with 30” belt and box.
Grinding on motor mount.
The pics of the box attached to the lathe (pictured above) are the second prototype (as my first prototype was too small in length to accommodate the motor and allow for ample adjustment). However in my haste to widen the box I used the first prototype right edge in locating the bolt holes for the box attaching to the lathe. This current setup pictured above is not correct as the left edge of the box should be more or less flush with the edge of the lathe head-stock nearest the spur. As a result, I have had to relocate the holes for the box and recalculate where the belt will come through. I was unable to get the grinder’s wide blade completely through the motor mount weld. Which caused me to drop the swivel bar and motor mount off with a friend. He will finish cutting off the weld with a die grinder and then re-weld it in the correct position. My intention is to move the motor mount about 3” from its current location and then re-weld it into the new location.