LumberJocks

Delta 46-715 Lathe Repower #4: Delta 46-715 Lathe Repower #4: Getting Pullies running True and Accurate

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Pete_LJ posted 01-16-2017 08:56 PM 1194 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Part 3 - Fitting Belt and Determining Linear Location of Driven Pulley Part 4 of Delta 46-715 Lathe Repower series Part 5: Delta 46-715 Lathe Repower #5: Finishing Rough Wiring and Doing Test Cut »

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this project. Honestly, we had a renovation on the house going on which required all my attention.

Let me recap a little regarding where I was back at my last entry, hurdles, solutions and new issues. In my last entry, I had lined up the belt and pulleys by eye. Additionally, I had a custom keyway made by the local machinist whereby the 46-715’s 3mm key slot was able to mate to the keyway 5/16” (equivalent to 8mm) slot of the Maska Pulley Hub. The Maska Pulley Hub (at McMaster Carr they describe it as Metric Quick Disconnect Bushing) has a 24mm ID which matches the shaft on my 46-715 lathe. The pulley that I am mounting to the Maska Pulley Hub is the original 8 rib nylon pulley from the treadmill. The treadmill pulley was originally mounted to the treadmill roller and has an OD of approximately three inches (“3”) and ID of approximately 1.640”. In order to attach the Maska Pulley Hub to the ribbed nylon pulley, I drilled three holes and bolted the nylon pulley to theMaska Pulley Hub and bolted them together. The pulley “worked” but the pulley was not conecntric with the shaft and Maska Pulley Hub. As a result, I was getting vibration even when tested at low rpm (with the 18v cordless battery). The cause of the vibration was the fact that the bolts were not perfectly locating the pulley concentrically. I tried making a spacer out of hardwood to fit between the nylon pulley and the 24mm shaft. It improved the situation but was still not running concentrically. As a result, I went to the local hobby machinist and had an adapter made from Delrin (OD of 1.642” for an interference fit and and an ID of 24mm with a keyway slot).

I recently installed the Delrin adapter and that fixed the vibration problem. I have now also installed an on/off swithc for the lathe and other accessories. In addition, I have installed a cheap Chinese drum switch to reverse direction. The lathe runs fabulously and I love the variable speed. I have ordered an enclosure for the MC-40 speed controller (currently, the speed controller is out in the open which is unsafe and likely to become problematic). I also need to mount the potentiometer for the speed control and a tachometer for the spindle speed. I will post pictures shortly.
!

https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/ojwa01p.jpg!



1 comment so far

View Sawdustonmyshoulder's profile

Sawdustonmyshoulder

444 posts in 3445 days


#1 posted 01-17-2017 02:10 AM

Pete_LJ,

I did one of these lathes repower with a treadmill motor back a couple of years ago. Mine runs really well but I don’t think it has enough power to do large projects. My motor controller does send more voltage to the motor when the motor’s RPM’s drop but it does have a small delay doing it.

I may have to add this motor to it. It’s a 3HP 180 volt DC motor from a commercial treadmill. It runs on 220VAC and with its controller is STINKING HEAVY. I will have to make a special motor mount for it. May have to learn to weld or pay to have a mount welded.

Check out my blog on it and let me know if you have questions. I’ll be glad to help if you need it. Carry on!!

http://lumberjocks.com/Sawdustonmyshoulder/blog/44473

-- The more skilled you are at something, the worse you are at it when someone is watching.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com