Built in Cabinets/Bookcase #4: The Doors

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jerome posted 01-28-2014 12:55 AM 1889 reads 1 time favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: The Shelves Part 4 of Built in Cabinets/Bookcase series Part 5: The Finish »

One thing that is consistent with my home is chair rail molding. its in the foyer, dining room, everywhere. So I made up my mind to tie that in with the doors. A gift from the sawdust gods supplied me with 126 feet of free chair rail, so i was set. Another gift was the picture molding. I used the picture molding at the top or each shelf and chair molding at the bottom. I only needed about 60 feet of chair molding. The rest, HD was kind enough to accept for in store credit. I was adamant about concealing any stereo equipment. I first considered fireplace mesh as a way to let the sound through and as a way for the remote control sensor to pas through. That idea was short lived and i proposed wire mesh to the wife. After all, the decor from the first floor up is hers and my territory is the basement and everything outside. Keep in mind that I am an artist and a better designer, but i digress. The line in the sand has been drawn.

The wire mesh idea did not go over well. at all . She hated the idea. After looking for some very expensive mesh and presenting her pics for approval, my jedi powers were working. But instead of spending $225 for elaborate mesh. I found a 24×36 sheet of this at Lowes for about $30. I was able to cut it with heavy-duty scissors

I showed her the various styles of mesh Lowes had to offer and told her it would look great when painted. APROVED! I used underlayment for the door panels and the same 1×2 select pine for the styles and rails. After about 10 views of this video, i was ready for the cabinet doors.

The doors for the speakers and stereo equipment was different, but i devised a plan. Originally, i had the idea or ripping the picture molding and using the parts to ad detail to the sides of the cabinet and sides of the bookcase.

With the door styles and rails cut to width, the thin mesh had plenty of room to move about. I was not going to cut new styles and rails for the mesh doors. Something had to press the mesh against the back of the door frame. This is where the round portion of the picture molding came in. I used gorilla glue to provide a strong bond and cut the round portions to dress the door. The remaining part of the picture molding was used to dress the face of each shelf. ( i just had to make sure the thickness of the sides of the bookcase were equal to the picture molding)

I wanted a decorative style hinge for the doors and HD and lowes did not supply me with any. I picked up the ball point hinges from Rockler for $9 a pair and $16 for the stereo hinges. I had to pick up the pocket hole fosner bit and jig as well. I dont have a drill press, so i used my drill with the fosner bit. Measuring the depth was not an issue because the desired depth was equal to the bottom of the groove cut in the styles and rails and i could eyeball that part.

After much cutting, gluing, and sanding, the doors were complete! For now…

left doors


all doors on

Next up….the Finish

-- Jerome, Marietta, GA

1 comment so far

View wakeque's profile


5 posts in 599 days

#1 posted 03-06-2015 02:16 PM


Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics