Before I begin my narrative on the construction of the cabinets, I want to shed a few more details about the base. When the carpet was removed I used a spade bit to make a 1 and 1/4 ” hole through the floor. My basement is unfinished and i can do all the wiring i want now, or at least be prepared for it later. The inside floor of the cabinet also has a D shaped hole right above the floor hole.
A key consideration of the height of the base was dependent on the existing trim going around the fireplace. I wanted all trim levels to be consistent. I also wanted the trim of the fireplace to meet the height of the top of the cabinet. Here is a look at the finished base level
This brings me to the purchase of my sliding mitre saw. I could not cut the base molding with my 7” mitre saw. I considered cutting the molding on the table saw, but i found this cheap saw for $37 at a pawn shop close by. It has nice blade on it too!
There was a huge dilemma about what type of wood and how wide i wanted the face of the cabinet to be. Rather than ripping wide stock of Aspen, I took a simpler route and picked up 1×2’s of select pine, or course its only 1.5” and not 2’, but it worked out. The pine was easy to cut using my miter box. I did however have to make plenty of trips down to the basement for other cuts. From my earlier post/pics, you can see where i mounted the support for the top of the cabinet. One thing that i did not account for was the imperfections in the wall. It was not straight. With some trimming, I was able to complete the cabinet bases and face without much trouble.
-- Jerome, Marietta, GA