LumberJocks

Furniture Restoration #4: Bent Lamination of New Front Apron

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Paul posted 2551 days ago 760 reads 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Are We Having Fun Yet? Part 4 of Furniture Restoration series Part 5: Bent Lamination of New Front Apron *2 »

(As always – click on the pics for a larger view)

I outlined the curve of the original front apron onto the wood block and cut the curves on the bandsaw to make the wooden form:

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

My bandsaw blade was too dull to resaw the ash well and it started to wander, so I quit after a few inches. Rather than take the time to buy a good resaw blade and build a resaw fence/jig, I decided to resaw on my table saw using a featherboard to keep it tight against the fence. With two 1/8” kerfs, I was able to get three pieces in the neighborhood of 7/32” thickness from the 15/16” x 2 3/4” x 60” boards. To take out the saw marks, I ran the two outside pieces through the planer (with a homemade bed insert for thin planing) and the third middle piece through the jointer and planer and took them down to about 5/32.” You can see the walnut piece on the left for the outside “front” laminate

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

This gives you a sense of how much it needed to bend before I started slinging glue. The original apron is 1 1/2”, but I went with a ~ 1 1/4” lamination. I believe the 1 1/4” lamination will be at least as stong as the original piece bandsawed from solid soft wood and veneered – probably stronger:

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

I tried to get my clamps set up as much as possible before hand and I laid out all the pieces before spreading glue. I should have gone and gotten some glue that wouldn’t set up as fast, but lazily I went with my yellow Titebond that I had on hand. Therefore sorry, I didn’t have time to stop and take a picture of spreading glue.

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

After some deep breaths, a brief walk down the drive cleaning my bi-focal safety glasses, a preliminary prayer and asking the painter next door to pray for me, too, I commenced slinging glue and tightening clamps as fast as I could. After much grunting and groaning, a bucket of sweat, a skinned bleeding knuckle and a pinched bleeding finger . . .

Free Image Hosting at www.picturetrail.com

You never have too many clamps! Fortunately, I was able to improvise on the fly and gain some leverage tightening the clamps by hooking a six inch metal C clamp around the clamp handles. Next time, I’ll have a short length of pipe handy that will slip over the end of the pipe clamp handle.

I shut off the lights and went to the house. I’ll let it dry and set for at least 24 hours. But it will probably be at least 72 hours before I get back to the shop for any length of time. I’ll clean it up and show it to you out of the form ASAP. Next: attempting to remove the applied carvings from the original and laminating two slightly curved side seat frame pieces – as well as the back seat frame piece.

-- Paul, Texas



5 comments so far

View Karson's profile

Karson

34870 posts in 3027 days


#1 posted 2551 days ago

Great glue up. Did you try to do it dry before the glue was spread?

-- I've been blessed with a father who liked to tinker in wood, and a wife who lets me tinker in wood. Southern Delaware karson_morrison@bigfoot.com †

View Thos. Angle's profile

Thos. Angle

4435 posts in 2589 days


#2 posted 2551 days ago

quite a project. thanks for the blow by blow.

-- Thos. Angle, Jordan Valley, Oregon

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

18615 posts in 2788 days


#3 posted 2551 days ago

hurry .. hurry… wait..

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Paul's profile

Paul

649 posts in 2719 days


#4 posted 2550 days ago

Karson -

No, I didn’t do a dry run. I felt pretty confident that the curves weren’t as bad (“acute”) as I first made them out to be but that’s where the prayers came in, too. I was concerned about keeping the laminations from slipping out of alignment with each other – the form staying in a flat plane, etc. – basically needing two more hands. But what I really needed more than anything was the physical strength/leverage for the last 1/2” of pressing the forms together. I wanted it a bit tighter (1/8”?) but the combination of setting glue, the thickness of the lamination and my tired bruised hands made that last little bit unattainable.

-- Paul, Texas

View Dorje's profile

Dorje

1763 posts in 2624 days


#5 posted 2536 days ago

Great work thus far! I’m gonna keep on reading…

-- Dorje (pronounced "door-jay"), Seattle, WA

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase