For those who follow this thread, you know we have been struggling on dying bone.
We may have found the solution, at least one of them.
Here is a test piece that seems to be dyed all the way through
To help the dye to penetrate all the way through the bone I decided to dye the pieces already cut. I had my papers already prepared from the start waiting for the solution
The intended green bone pieces were highlighted in green (of course) on the drawing.
I cut in 4 layers the bone like the rest of the marquetries with a mask on to not breath the dust and slowly, very slowly, with a lot of blades
I had to select the bone veneers which had roughly the same shape to avoid voids and holes to make my packs.
The bone are identified with a letter, L for left panel B for back, T for top etc… That way it is easier to find where they go.
Even being carefull I had some recut to do, some because the blades dulled to much in the middle of cutting a piece resulting in horribly cut pieces, and some because there were defects in one or more of the bone layer
Cut and recut until all the green spots are covered.
The good thing is that those messed up pieces of bones are now used to sample the colors.
Next time, hopefully, I will have some green bone inlaid marquetry to show!!
Thank you for following!
-- Patrice lejeune