Rather than glue up everything at once, which had resulted in glue setting on the first piece before it’s properly aligned and clamped, I’m gluing in stages. After gluing the blocks under the bottom shelf, I shot some 1” brads to hold the blocks in place, then glued the lower shelf, then the lower back. The wooden clamp in the photo below is holding the block under the lower shelf.
That is all clamped to continue tomorrow.
I used 3/4 ply for the lower 12”, 1/4 ply for the next 30 ” or so, and then will cut 2 pieces of 3/4 up to the top. Saves a little. For the other cabinets I built, I only used 3/4 at the top and bottom, as nailers to attach to the wall (3” screws with finish washers). These my end up with more weight, so I used much more 3/4 ply. It’s all tongue and groove construction. I did neglect to figure the cost of the 3/4 ply on the back, so add another $25 or so.
I used a Kreg jig to drill holes for the shelf pins. I have the 1/4” bit. Someday I’ll buy another jig with the 5mm bit, since 5mm shelf pins are much easier to find, and join the two jigs together. Two jigs would make it the drilling go faster.
I cut a 1/4” ply for the top, glued and nailed in down, and that was it. I finished with two coats of clear satin poly, sanding lightly after the first coat, and using brown paper to “sand’ the second.
-- More Ideas than Time.