Antique Radio Cabinet Retrofit #4: More Repairs

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Pags posted 01-28-2015 04:27 PM 1347 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Repairs Part 4 of Antique Radio Cabinet Retrofit series Part 5: New Face »

After gluing and clamping down the top piece to the frame on the outside edges, I found that the inside edges, by where the radio control panel is, on both sides, started to crack, separate and lift.

To repair this, I was concerned that if I pried this area open enough to insert a glue injector, I would do more harm than good. I felt that if I opened up the crack by sawing a kerf, and filled the kerf with thickened epoxy that would act as both a filler and an adhesive, that didn’t need clamping, would be a good solution… so that’s the path I chose.

First I made a kerf (on both sides of the control panel) with my Japanese pull saw.

Then I injected some thickened epoxy in the two kerfs.

Then I cleaned it up and left it alone to cure.

Also, after removing the veneer from the top substrate, splits were revealed that needed attention… I used the same method to repair the splits. The epoxy should help to prevent these splits from splitting further as well as filling the void created by the split.

These epoxy filled splits are no concern visually as I plan to put new mahogany veneer down on the top and to paint the edge molding black.

0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics