I began the project this weekend with repairs…. nothing too exciting here. The first problem I addressed was the lower frame which was falling apart. On the back side of the console cabinet there is a screw block holding a rail to the side of the cabinet. A screw was missing and the rail had come loose.
Check out the huge adjustable double loop AM antenna… going to keep that and use it for the tuner for better AM reception… looking forward to listening to a few baseball games.
All this needed was some glue and a new screw. I glued it up, clamped it in place and installed a new screw…. pretty straight forward.
Next was the top. The veneer was in tough shape and was delaminating here and there.
The top was also separating along a seam of two pieces joined together to form the edge molding.
To repair this I pried the seam apart enough to get a glue injector in there, and glued and clamped it until dry.
I decided instead of trying to repair the veneer on the top, I would replace it instead. So I used a heat gun and putty knife to remove the old veneer…. it was in such bad shape it simply and easily peeled off. Looks like the substrate is poplar…. took a few swipes off that surface with my block plane to clean it up and flatten it.