I wanted to show off the little progress I made so far…..
The drawers are going together:
Here you can see how I used a wooden clamp, clamped to the bench to hold the back of the drawer upright in a 90, while i nail the front on. Once you have the front on, the rest comes easy. Lots of guys make a big deal about jigs they come up with, but I never saw the purpose of them. To get the drawer all the way square, we handle this when the bottom comes on.
Wait…. look closely at these two drawers…. see any difference?
Here is the back of one of them, there is a false bottom and a secret drawer, opening from the back. I showed it to my wife, and she wanted all drawers done like that. Well it was supposed to be just a little joke. So we just stick with one for now.
Here is the book I got my inspiration for the design from, “Measured Drawings of Shaker” from Ejner Handberg. He has a whole series of these books. I think I have 4 of his books.
Here is the cupboard we fell in love with. We took the dresser part. We needed bigger drawers. The drawers of this original dresser were way too small for our closet.
As yo can see, I put together the sides of the drawers, next will be cutting the bottoms and putting on the drawer slides.
It is coming together pretty well.
Sorry about the photography and its quality, it was all done with my phone (droid).
Thanks to my friend Steve A. for all the pieces of 1/2” plywood I got from him.
Thanks for checking it out, and don’t hesitate to say “hi”, when you stop by.
-- rhykenologist and plant grower