So it’s been long enough, I thought I’d post an update, as insignificant as it may seem. Life with a 2 year old, on top of work, doesn’t allow much time for this hobby.
I was able to disassemble the entire machine, and inspect everything closer. This is the main body of the unit, shown cleaned up, repainted, and the badge polished.
As I mentioned in my last post, I had purchased replacement bearings for the machine. Since then, I received the bearings, and had them installed, only to find out they were slightly off (though not by much). After further investigation, I learned that the OEM bearing number has since been discontinued. I did find a suitable replacement bearing, finally, and have now been able to reinstall the cutter head.
Work now continues to clean the tables and prep them for painting.
I know, not much. But if nothing else, I made a commitment to myself to somewhat document this process. At the current rate, maybe we’ll see a completed machine in the next 12 years.
To be fair, though, I have been able to work on some other projects as well. That’s the start of my router table for my new router cabinet in the background. If I may, pictures wouldn’t do that top justice. It’s not yet completed either, but there are subtle details (purely cosmetic) in that top that I just don’t think could be captured in a photo. I am pretty proud of it so far. Hopefully I don’t screw it up putting in the miter tracks and such now (knock on wood). I plan for that router cabinet to be my next project post.
-- Patrick, Jacksonville, IL