LumberJocks

Morris Chair

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by PPK updated 05-17-2017 05:04 PM 5 parts 3684 reads 25 comments total

Part 1: Morris Chair Design and Cut out parts

02-28-2017 04:26 PM by PPK | 8 comments »

Here I’m going to outline the method I am taking to build myself a Morris Chair. I’ve been wanting to have one of these because I really like the look and the comfort, but also because I want to learn some new techniques, especially upholstery. I know there are a number of other blogs on building a Morris Chair, but they are all different, and everyone has their own unique ways of building. So here’s mine! I am not using a plan, per se. I have been looking at lots of pic...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Dye and Assembly

03-16-2017 08:34 PM by PPK | 4 comments »

I’m excited about my progress, small though it may be, so here’s another post. I am using Behlen alcohol based analine dye to make the color of the walnut look more uniform. I dyed almost all the parts before assembly for two reasons: 1, it dries super fast, and its easier to do small areas at a time. 2, I didn’t want the hickory slats to get dyed. Then, I glued up the chair sides. I used hide glue. On the last shot, I had not wiped the gl...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Chair back, pegs & final dye touch ups

04-13-2017 04:59 PM by PPK | 4 comments »

Its about time I throw up a few more pictures. I’ve got my chair completely built from a chair standpoint. The upholstery is yet to come. I finished dying the arms and touched up the dye. The tenon caps got glued in. I made tenons on the stretchers (of the chair back) and mortised the uprights. They were dyed and assembled next. I pegged the joints on the chair back and on the rest of the chair. My method for making pegs involves a drill, s...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Upholstery - Seat

04-27-2017 04:18 PM by PPK | 6 comments »

First off, all credit is due fellow Lumber Jock pintodeluxe, who’s tutorial I copied many ideas from. Thanks Pinto! I built a frame from Hickory. I chose hickory, because it is really tough stuff. The frame gets a lot of tension from the webbing pulling on it, getting sat on, etc. It turned out well, and there was zero discernable deflection after I stretched the webbing over it. I used half lap joints, and added corner blocks to make it even stronger. Next, I start...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Back Cushion Upholstery and Finish

05-17-2017 05:04 PM by PPK | 3 comments »

I’m in the home stretch now. I don’t have pictures of this, but I cut out 2 pieces of leather for the cushion, in the exact same way as the seat cushion. Squares cut out of the corners. I then sewed up the corners with a blind stitch. The front and back are still separate. Then I prepared to sew the zipper on. I sewed the front and back sides together with my usual 1/2” seam allowance, blind stitch. Then I flattened the seam as much as possible and placed the zippe...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com