I’m excited about my progress, small though it may be, so here’s another post.
I am using Behlen alcohol based analine dye to make the color of the walnut look more uniform.
I dyed almost all the parts before assembly for two reasons: 1, it dries super fast, and its easier to do small areas at a time. 2, I didn’t want the hickory slats to get dyed.
Then, I glued up the chair sides. I used hide glue.
On the last shot, I had not wiped the glue off yet. It looks a tad better in real life now that I got it cleaned up… Hide glue is nice for being able to clean up with water, even after its dried.
Then I put together the sides with the front and back stretchers:
And then started getting ready to put on the arms. I used dowel centers to drill holes for dowel pins. I’m sure there are a number of ways to do this, but this seemed easiest/strongest.
Then I glued on the arms…
And added the corbels (kind of hard to see, sorry):
Then I started chiseling out the mortises for the tenon caps. I know, they are fake… Through mortises would have been much better, but that’s kinda hard to do when you’ve got hollow legs!!
That’s it for now. I’ll finish the dye on the arms, and move on to the chair back.
“In the world you have tribulation, but take heart; I have overcome the world” -John 16:33