LumberJocks

Shopsmith Restoration

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by PG_Zac updated 04-27-2010 09:33 AM 9 parts 31814 reads 79 comments total

Part 1: An offer I couldn't refuse

02-10-2010 12:40 AM by PG_Zac | 12 comments »

So yesterday I was up in a tree I am felling for and with my step-dad (I keep the wood) when he asked if I had done any turning. I said no because I don’t have a lathe, but that I would like one. He looked up at me and asked if I’d like one. Well I know he has a workshop, but it is mostly for metal working and his lathe is a large metal lathe, so I thought he was kidding. Anyway, after we cleaned our mess up at the end of the work day, he took me to his open-sided store area...

Read this entry »


Part 2: The Treasure Trove

02-16-2010 10:36 PM by PG_Zac | 6 comments »

As you may know, I have been gifted a Shopsmith but it needs restoration. Well, This afternoon we loaded the Shopsmith and the second “spares” machine in our bakkie (pickup) and drove it 2.5 hours home. Most of the trip was in rain, with almost half of the drive time spent peering through a rain storm worse than I have seen in the last 5 years. At times the visibility was down to about 3 car lengths. I’m not worried about any rust from the trip, because this is how my...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Unpacking - Terrible Condition

02-17-2010 01:27 PM by PG_Zac | 13 comments »

This morning I unpacked my new toys and can confirm that I have one Shopsmith mk 5, and one Master Shop. They are both in very sad condition, and I will be concentrating my efforts on restoring the Shopsmith and relegating the Master Shop to being the “spares” supply wherever possible.. The load waiting to be unpacked.. As you can see, there is rust everywhere.Even the Aluminium is seriously corroded.At least one of the main castings is broken I can see that this is goin...

Read this entry »


Part 4: We have identified the machine

02-26-2010 12:14 AM by PG_Zac | 5 comments »

At least I believe we have identified it. Shopsmiths have a very active user group forum, and the members there have helped me identify which model I have. It seems that my SS is a “Goldie” MK 5 (not MK V) model 500, manufactured somewhere from 1960 to 1963 by Magna Corporation before they went out of business in 1964. Shopsmith Inc. (founded in 1972) still supports the Magna machines. It seems that the clincher in identifying it was this warning label riveted onto the h...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Started the Strip-Down

02-27-2010 09:08 PM by PG_Zac | 9 comments »

I started stripping my Goldie today, so I knocked this cradle together to support it while working..I rough cut the base and overlong uprights. I then clamped the uprights together and used a large Forstner to drill the support cut-outs and cut off the tops off the uprights to give me half-round cradles for the way tubes. A few angle brackets later all glued and screwed, and I have a good work stand..I can even turn the unit on its side to access the underside.. I then started stripping ...

Read this entry »


Part 6: Stripping and Cleaning

03-29-2010 12:35 AM by PG_Zac | 6 comments »

I have spent the last several days down with a nasty bug as did most in our house, so the work slacked off a lot. Anyway – so on to more stripping and starting the cleaning. Here is the inside of the headstock with a bucket of bits..I have found that the speed control sheave assembly needs to be replaced – the wire loop is supposed to be fixed in the end of the shaft with a bearing. Bearing is gone and the wire is near worn through..Headstock completely dismantled and brushed...

Read this entry »


Part 7: Cleaning Tubes

04-03-2010 11:56 PM by PG_Zac | 4 comments »

I have been doing some tests of technique for cleaning the various tubes on my Goldie. I will be posting some pics of methods & results as I go along. Here is a drill holder I got years ago when I bought a cutting disk for my drill. I haven’t used this rig for years, but it is now earning its place in my “Good-to-Have” tool collection. It is adjustable in all directions except length. This first “Tubes” post deals with the extension table legs. Thes...

Read this entry »


Part 8: Quill Dismantling

04-04-2010 12:11 AM by PG_Zac | 10 comments »

A few days ago I tried to dismantle my Goldie’s quill assembly with zero success. I seriously wanted to dismantle this to clean it up properly – I’m sure a bath in degreaser would not be good for the bearing. First I removed the whole quill from the headstock.Next I removed the set screw from the spindle knob, but I couldn’t take the knob off the spindle. I managed to turn the knob on the spindle with tools, but it was very tight, and wouldn’t pull off. S...

Read this entry »


Part 9: Electrolysis for Rust Removal

04-27-2010 09:33 AM by PG_Zac | 14 comments »

This series has been quiet for a while, as I’ve been buying replacement parts off eBay and dealing with several small(ish) technical issues. The members of the ShopSmith owners’ forum have been extremely helpful. My thanks to the LJ members who pointed me to that forum. Here is my experience with removing rust by Electrolysis and I’m sure that many LJ’s can benefit using this technique for tool restoration. If you have any questions, just ask and I’ll do my...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase