LumberJocks

Shopsmith Restoration #5: Started the Strip-Down

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by PG_Zac posted 02-27-2010 09:08 PM 2994 reads 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: We have identified the machine Part 5 of Shopsmith Restoration series Part 6: Stripping and Cleaning »

I started stripping my Goldie today, so I knocked this cradle together to support it while working.

.
I rough cut the base and overlong uprights. I then clamped the uprights together and used a large Forstner to drill the support cut-outs and cut off the tops off the uprights to give me half-round cradles for the way tubes. A few angle brackets later all glued and screwed, and I have a good work stand.

.
I can even turn the unit on its side to access the underside.

.

I then started stripping down the headstock to find out what internals I have. To get the belt cover off, I had to take the end casting off the way tubes. Not very cooperative due to rust.

.
Not commonly used restoration tools

.
Speed pulleys seem to be in decent condition

.
The motor appears to be original

.
It seems to be able to handle both 110V and 230V without mods

.
Wiring is all shot

.
Good news though – The quill rack & pinion seem to be in very good condition, just greasy & dirty

.
That’s it for today.

-- I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.



9 comments so far

View Hacksaw007's profile

Hacksaw007

598 posts in 1944 days


#1 posted 02-27-2010 09:43 PM

Wow, this one is a bit on the rough side. I await with excitment to see how it goes on this great machine! This isn’t your first one I am guessing?

-- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

14134 posts in 2345 days


#2 posted 02-27-2010 10:41 PM

Now I’m scared….and very anxious to see the result.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View John Stegall's profile

John Stegall

421 posts in 2271 days


#3 posted 02-27-2010 11:41 PM

Wow.

-- jstegall

View Shopsmithtom's profile

Shopsmithtom

780 posts in 2949 days


#4 posted 02-27-2010 11:58 PM

You definitely have a challenging one there. I recommend replacing the bearings in the motor as long as it’s out. It’s not uncommon that, even though they feel good now, if it’s been sitting for many years, that you’ll get it back together & run it a few times & then the dried and/or congealed grease will cause bearing failure & you’ll have to take it apart again.

If the bearings in the upper & idler shaft or quill feel “lumpy” or tight, you can sometimes save them by warming them (not too hot) with a hand held propane torch & then putting a couple of drops of oil (I use Marvel Mystery Oil…don’t really know why, I just always have) into the bearing & spinning until it smooths out. The quick way to do this is to hold the shaft with the bearing lightly up against a buffing wheel or soft wire wheel & turn on the buffer/grinder machine. If the bearing is off the shaft, slip it over a dowel or rod. Let the wheel spin the bearing for a few minutes. I wouldn’t do that with the motor bearings, only the headstock ones. Also be aware that some motors have a different size bearing at each end of the motor shaft. (but not all motors) The difference is slight, so measure carefully.

Oh, and have fun. -SST

-- Accuracy is not in your power tool, it's in you

View PG_Zac's profile

PG_Zac

366 posts in 2143 days


#5 posted 02-28-2010 09:51 AM

Thanks for the pointers SSTom.

Hacksaw – You are wrong, this is my first one, and it is a lot on the rough side :-)

-- I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

584 posts in 2323 days


#6 posted 02-28-2010 07:09 PM

I hope the motor is still functional under all that… I’d figure a way to mount and run it outside of the machinery and give it some thorough testing before committing to it.

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

View dusty2's profile

dusty2

319 posts in 2184 days


#7 posted 03-01-2010 03:26 PM

According to the label, the motor is switchable 115/220vac. Wish they had left them that way.

-- Making Sawdust Safely

View EEngineer's profile

EEngineer

906 posts in 2368 days


#8 posted 03-28-2010 02:21 AM

Sorry about the end casting. Is that a piece you can easily get a replacement for?

I love seeing old arn restored but this one does look like a rough one!

-- "Find out what you cannot do and then go do it!"

View PG_Zac's profile

PG_Zac

366 posts in 2143 days


#9 posted 03-28-2010 11:59 PM

EEngineer - The casting is very easy to replace. ShopSmith still sells new parts for machines dating back to the early ‘50’s, and if you don’t like their prices, there is a ton of used stuff on eBay in decent condition.

I don’t have to replace this part, as the Taiwanese clone I have has one in good condition.

-- I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase