Seth (my daughter’s boyfriend) does yard work for spending money and got some oak logs for me (about 4,000 pounds worth).
I decided to try an open form with a (small) piece of it.
Since it was green it was heavier than I wanted to try lifting onto the lathe. Besides that’s why I have a chain hoist and trolley.
Seth was doing the hoisting…lots of pulling to bring it up…but he’s young.
Initial mount to the headstock is a 4” faceplate, the biggest I’ve got.
There was minimal sag with just the faceplate, but I didn’t want to even try starting it up without the live center supporting it. I didn’t feel like setting up the chainsaw so I just used the large cone on the live center to start the turning.
Mounted, safety cage in place, ready to rumble.
5:57 p.m. Starting the debarking process.
I could have just knocked it off, but wanted the practice so I used my 1” roughing gouge.
6:26 p.m. After half an hour the bottom is starting to come into shape, at least the angle is coming off.
6:35 p.m. Taking the sides to round. Too bad the picture is out of focus, there’s a puddle of water in the gouge.
And there was water dripping off my face shield. As a side note I wear either a hard hat with full face shield or a full face respirator when I’m turning. I like my face the way it is and I personally think wrinkles are preferable to scars. And the pocket on the t-shirt is full of shavings.
6:41 p.m. All the rough edges off. Water dripping everywhere.
6:41 to 7:15 p.m. took a break for supper or something.
The plan was to leave the 4” faceplate on as the center support for the top of the form and to put the Nova Titan chuck on a tenon on the bottom.
So I started to form the outer contour of the form and to cut in for the tenon. I switched to the Sorby Sovereign. I pulled the middle joint out so the round cutter was attached directly to the bar, like a straight gouge.
It really started pulling off the wet wood. Seth said I was throwing shavings all the way across the garage.
I got a couple of them off the floor, about 1/4” wide and 5 feet long. Things were going well and fast.
8:36 p.m. The outer shape was rough turned and the tenon was cut.
8:39 p.m. I turned down the end off the tenon as far as I felt comfortable. The piece was round, but not balanced. It was easy to tell because the tailstock extension was wobbling around (flexing) when I was turning.
8:42 p.m. We sawed the nub off the tenon so the chuck could snug up against the bottom of the form.
8:44 p.m. Titan chuck on the tenon. Ready to swap ends.
8:49 p.m. Back to the hoist. Took the strain off the headstock and unscrewed the form.
8:54 p.m. Turned the form around, screwed the Titan chuck on the headstock, screwed the faceplate on the tailstock…ready to hollow.
Closeup of the 4” faceplate screwed onto the live center threaded adapter.
9:06 p.m. A couple of inches in.
Breaking the blog entry at this point, continuing day 1, and adding day 2 in the next entry.
-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."