In the first post in this series I showed the small bowl that came off the lathe at 1300 RPM.
The blank wasn’t too damaged, so I reglued it and finished it.
The regluing went so well that I didn’t have to return the face of the bowl, I just sanded it to get the glue off, then a coat of 2# shellac buffed off while wet with an old T-shirt.
1. back on the lathe with safety cage in place.
2. shellac on the front.
3. getting ready to round the corners off….jam block in place. I didn’t band saw the corners because I wanted to practice cutting off the square….no catches, no shrapnel…went well.
4. reversed with a wooden drive block in the chuck and a piece of waffle non-skid shelf liner between that and the face of the bowl. I turned the bottom flat and just left a little button around the live center cone.
5. bottom rough turned, outside edge sanded, ready to put in the cole jaws to work the rest of the bottom.
6. bottom finished, ready to shellac and then buff.
7. and done. polished on the beall system, finished diameter 5 1/2 inches, height 5/16, thickness ~3/32…a fun little project.
-- Pete, "It isn't broken, you just aren't using it right."