LumberJocks

Dovetail Bible Box

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by OutPutter updated 03-05-2010 02:17 AM 6 parts 31173 reads 20 comments total

Part 1: Milled Parts

02-02-2010 07:34 AM by OutPutter | 3 comments »

This blog will document the process I’m currently using to build bible boxes. I generally make a box large enough to hold a bible and give it to a person who has either been recently baptized or married, or in some other way come to my attention. My hope is that I can build a box that will last long enough and be strong enough that there’s never a good reason to get rid of it. Then it can always remind the person receiving it that it came with a bible and hopefully that little ...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Box Bottom Blowout

02-03-2010 03:27 AM by OutPutter | 6 comments »

Catastrophe today at the WoodRat. I explained in the previous blog entry how I plan to use a sort of blind sliding dovetail to attach the sides of my boxes to the bottoms. The bottoms are first glued up from smaller boards since they need to be around 12” x 9”. After final dimensioning, the bottom has to be cut into two pieces so the dovetail trench can be made without the ends of the trench showing. Then I trap the box sides in the trench and glue the two bottom pieces back...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Glue Up Bottom and Sides

02-04-2010 12:13 AM by OutPutter | 3 comments »

I decided that the next step after blowing out the bottom while routing the dovetail trenches was to glue up the bottom and trap the sides in the trenches. Even though the trenches were at different depths, all I had to do to get the side dovetails to fit was a little sanding. Here are some pictures of the glued up box bottom...This shows the glue line down the middle of the box before clean up...This one shows the bottom of the bottom and those pesky blowouts...This one shows what the fini...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Repairs -R- Us

02-06-2010 07:56 AM by OutPutter | 1 comment »

I blew out the hidden dovetail trench in the bottom of my bible box so I had to make a repiar. I picked a piece of the offcut from the sides or top, I forget which. The color matched pretty well I thought. Here are a few pictures of the repair process. I just cut little bitty pieces and glued them in the trench hole...You should be able to see the offcut I used laying across the bottom of the box along side the two blowouts...This one shows one of the patch pieces on the sanding block I u...

Read this entry »


Part 5: Boxalicious Tung Oil Finish

02-08-2010 03:53 AM by OutPutter | 4 comments »

The box has been plugged, sanded and we took a Dremel to the punky wood. I think all the holes are ready to be finished and so we move on to the tung oil. I usually have help with this part from my wife and my youngest daughter. They love to see the wood come alive as the finish is applied. This box has been pronounced “boxalicious” by my daughter who also says “it’s so pretty it’s like a wedding dress.” So here are a few pictures...This shows the setu...

Read this entry »


Part 6: It's A Wrap

03-05-2010 02:17 AM by OutPutter | 3 comments »

Well, it’s been over three weeks since I put the finish on my box and contemplated putting on the hinges. Since then several things have happened. The weather was cold in Houston for a while and I moved the box inside the house for a while. Over that time, I noticed the bottom had bowed slightly and two small cracks formed in one end. Even though my sliding dovetail construction allowed the sides to move as the bottom contracted and expanded, it didn’t prevent the bottom from ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase