LumberJocks

G&G Blanket Chest Build #7: Base part I

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Ottacat posted 01-17-2015 04:20 PM 1756 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Sides part II and an oops... Part 7 of G&G Blanket Chest Build series no next part

A False Start

When I went to the lumber store to buy the 5/4 wood for the top and base I made the mistake of not bringing the plans or dimensions. I ended up making my best guess. When I got home and laid everything out I realized that had bought only enough that I had no margin for error.

The base is 3” high and I had so little wood that I needed to be able to get all four parts of the base from a single board. My widest board was only about 6 1/4” wide. I hoped that after jointing and the saw kerf that I’d get two 3” pieces. Thus I then jointed and planed the board and was lucky enough that it ended up being 6 1/8” wide.

Unfortunately when I ripped the board down to 3” wide the board bent into a slight curve as internal stresses were released. This was one of those rip cuts just seems to happen randomly and one where I was quite thankful for the splitter on my saw.

At this point I should have thrown in the towel on this board but I wanted to see if I could salvage it. I re-jointed it to get one side flat again and then re-ripped it to make the other side parallel. I ended up with boards that were now only 2 5/8” wide instead of 3”. I set them aside for the night and debated things in my head. I really wanted to keep the chest as close as possible to Darrell’s design. However the missing 3/8” was not a trivial amount.

In the end I decided that given the total investment in both money and time in the chest that I wasn’t willing to compromise. Thus I set aside the pieces knowing that I could use at least enough of them for the breadboard ends of the top and headed off to my lumber supplier and bought another board. While there I also bought a spare. I’ve always found that there is nothing like having a spare to ensure you never need it.

Second Time a Charm

With a brand new board I started fresh. This time I ripped it slightly over-sized in case the same thing happened again. I left it overnight and the next day I ripped it to the final 3” width without issue.

Different Joinery Technique

To make the single large finger joint in the base, Darrell’s FWW article describes using a dado blade and clamping the base pieces upright in a crosscut sled. I didn’t have a dado crosscut sled on hand and really didn’t want to make on just for this operation. I thus decided to use the same template technique for the base as was used for the sides. The one side-effect of using the template is the inside of the finger is rounded over instead of square. I decided I could live with this deviation from Darrell’s plans as this was honestly quite hard to see.

I followed the same pattern when making the template of making the finger 1/64 smaller than the gap. This again of course meant making two templates with one template being 1/64” smaller than the other. I made the templates out of plywood and again used the Domino to align them for the glue-up.

I used the templates to mark the cutout locations on each piece and cutout the excess on my bandsaw.

The templates for the sides were held in a holder and routed with a hand-held router. For the base I used double-stick tape to attach the template to the wood and used my router table to do the flush trimming. It was a bit time-consuming but in the end it all worked out quite well.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com